New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I really don't like Quicktime, what else is there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

I love it when it comes to streaming video but for downloaded videos, it sucks. I miss BSPlayer. What is like that? What player would allow me to watch .mkv files and turn subtitles on and off, as well? Or how it can play in the desktop background?

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

I use VLC. Nothing real fancy but it does what its suppose to. it'll play a bunch of different formats including .mkv.
heres the link.

http://www.videolan.org/
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Another vote for VLC...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you want something more full-featured, check out Miro. it supports most formats (including MKV), and has a built-in search function that lets you search sites like YouTube, Google Video, and others. It also has a video channel guide for internet video websites.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

MPlayer without a doubt. It will properly play everything you throw at it, including stuff even VLC can't handle. And it remains the only player other than Quicktime using the Perian plugin that can display styled SSA subtitles in MKVs with the fonts/colors/styles they're supposed to have. You can get recent builds for OS X from here:

http://haque.net/software/mplayer/mplayerosx/builds/
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
MPlayer without a doubt. It will properly play everything you throw at it, including stuff even VLC can't handle. And it remains the only player other than Quicktime using the Perian plugin that can display styled SSA subtitles in MKVs with the fonts/colors/styles they're supposed to have. You can get recent builds for OS X from here:

http://haque.net/software/mplayer/mplayerosx/builds/
I hated VLC on Windows, I'm very sure I'd hate it on a Mac. I'll try this one, does it support dual audio?

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGO View Post
I hated VLC on Windows, I'm very sure I'd hate it on a Mac. I'll try this one, does it support dual audio?
If you hate VLC on the PC then I am pretty sure you would not like it on the Mac either. I have it for playing some obscure videos but I do not like the interface.

Wish I could offer more help but for all I do Quicktime Pro with Perian and Flip4Mac works well for me. Never used BSPlayer. I will have to give it a try on my Windows machines.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGO View Post
Yes. Push # (not a typo, I do mean the octothorpe character, so it's Shift+3) to cycle through audio tracks, and press J to cycle through subtitle tracks. And pushing F will toggle Fullscreen, while pressing Q will quit the program. This is primarily a command-line usage program that just kind of had a GUI slapped on it, as you might be able to tell. More keyboard usage than mouse, but it's very intuitive and actually gets to be more convenient in my opinion (It's all I use on Linux). I should mention that to get MPlayer to get styled subtitle tracks to display the right way, you should go into "Miscellaneous" under the Preferences and type this into the Advanced parameters text box:

Quote:
-*** -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -correct-pts
And for good measure, I'd put these in there somewhere too:

Quote:
-vo gl -sid 0
The first option makes mplayer call the libass library, which is what makes the SSA/*** subtitles work. The -embeddedfonts tag works with that so it works on embedded fonts and not just external subtitle files. The -correct-pts tag isn't necessary all the time, but some people get weird problems with the sub timing if they don't use it. As for the other two, -vo gl makes mplayer use the OpenGL video output module, which I find scales subtitles for full screen more nicely. And -sid 0 makes it display the first subtitle track by default when it opens a video file, if there is one. And I suppose if you want to (though I've yet to see an instance where I needed it on an Intel Mac), you could add the -framedrop parameter.

Also, it seems I'm getting asterisked out. The parameter I keep trying to talk about is -a s s (without the spaces).

I'll also note that if your only problem with Quicktime is the inability to play MKVs and whatnot, Perian makes it able to do even complicated muti-subtitle-track, multi-audio-track MKVS (Flip4Mac needed for WMV stuff though). The only issue is that Apple didn't make Quicktime to be able to read MKVs at all, so the developers had to do a bit of hacking to make it work, so MKVs end up needing to be completely loaded up front before you can watch them. The current release also does something weird to H264 codec, but that's been fixed in the dev repositories. All in all, I trust MPlayer over Quicktime right now even though I can make Quicktime do what I needed to (I think its subtitle rendered is actually better when Perian is installed, to be honest).
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I dunno, I happen to like VLC on the Mac much more than I do on Windows.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I dunno, I happen to like VLC on the Mac much more than I do on Windows.
One advantage the Mac version has is full screen controls... I was appalled to learn the Windows version didn't have them. Of course, Media Player Classic with CCCP on Windows is THE be-all, end-all media player in my opinion and there's no way VLC can compete with it even if it did adopt decent full screen controls. That said, it looks like the OP is a media enthusiast that needs his media player to do everything the way it's supposed to. That is to say, a MPC replacement. VLC fails there since it can't display softsub tracks in MKVs properly. MPlayer is currently the only player on OS X that can fill this role, though Quicktime with Flip4Mac and Perian plugins is getting there (I actually think it would be better than MPlayer if not for the MKV load time up front and the current bug with H264 in Perian).
QUOTE Thanks
eCh

eCh is on a distinguished road

I like VLC and thats what i use for watching movies. It does what its supposed to do, and I havent had any probems with it.
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

As my standalone player, I use MPlayer. I've used it on Linux for the past five years, and it's done everything I needed it to in stellar fashion. You can use the GUI version or the command line version or both. I like the command line version, but then I'm a shell freak. I just love the MPlayer keybindings. You can install it through MacPorts.
QUOTE Thanks
ad2MAC

ad2MAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If you want something more full-featured, check out Miro. it supports most formats (including MKV), and has a built-in search function that lets you search sites like YouTube, Google Video, and others. It also has a video channel guide for internet video websites.

I just downloaded Miro, and so far like it.

Macbook - White, 2.2 Ghz Intel Duo Core, 120 Gb, 1.5 gb RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

DivX is a great media player. It can play almost any file format you can think of an works great for downloaded torrents.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tip: MacBook and Time Machine | iPod/iTunes and iPhoto '08 -- not working together? »