New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.5 - backup software advice PLEASE!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I am trying to figure out a convenient and reliable backup situation of my multitude of data that exists on my external drives.

I will be purchasing a large drive to use SuperDuper to backup my macbook pro. Does SuperDuper create backups of external drives? If not, what software would you recommend that would backup my external drive to another external drive?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I use Backup - it works fine for me. Used it with Tiger also and now with Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I use SuperDuper! and have used it for over a year and it's the best there is.

I can't test this for you but I would imagine you can pick, through the drop-down menu, the hard drive to be copied and the drive that will receive the backup.

Why not directly ask Dave Narnian, SupperDuper!'s developer (he's a pleasure to deal with), to be extra sure ? Or post this question over in the SuperDuper! users forum?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I totally agree with MHC, SuperDuper is the best of the bunch for my purposes (now that it works with Leopard, especially).

Just for giggles, I tried to do exactly what you're describing - backup one external drive to another, and it seems to work (of course, I didn't run through the entire process, but I was able to select an external as the source and another as the destination).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I'm with my learned colleagues on this one Superduper is great for making a back-up bootable. I love Time machine also

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Agree with the others here. I'm a registered SuperDuper user myself.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

One more for SD. Make sure you register the free download as it is so much quicker using Smart Backup.
QUOTE Thanks
aaheroe

aaheroe is on a distinguished road

also you can use iBackup
QUOTE Thanks
alptibet

alptibet is on a distinguished road

Time Machine
QUOTE Thanks
ylshin

ylshin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3

Quote:
Does SuperDuper create backups of external drives?
Yes it does. I save all my work on an external Lacie 280GB HDD (which I upload to Mozy as I go along). I also have a 1TB WD which has 3 partitions. I use one partition to backup the Lacie using SuperDuper which will serve as a quick restore if.. Mozy is only an insurance policy.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I like to be different. I would argue that external hard drives are so big, so fast and so inexpensive these days that you don't need any special purpose backup software. Here is what I do:

I get an external hard drive. To back up, I plug it in, turn it on and then create a new folder in its root called todays_date_backup. Then I simply use Finder (or PathFinder in my case) to drag my home folder into my newly created backup folder. This copies ALL of my personal data. It does not create a full blown image of my current disk, but I tend to view the system setup as transient. It is my personal stuff (music, photos, files, etc.) that I want to keep.

To make this really useful, I use a system of two hard drives, which I rotate between work and home. Each time I do a backup, I take the hard drive with the fresh backup to work and exchange it with the one there. That way, I always have two full backups at two different locations. Hence, even if some terrible disaster should befall my house (tornado, flood, fire, whatever), I still have a full backup "off site".

Note that no incremental backup software is involved or needed. Hard drives are so big and so fast these days that this works great and it is so simple. It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy. Apple clearly agrees with me - I think that this is the whole premise behind Time Machine.

A final thought. If you do decide on the SuperDuper route, which makes a 100% clone of your complete hard drive, Mac OS X config and all, you should also check out Carbon Copy Cloner, which I like better. It does the same thing, but the GUI is just "nicer" IMHO.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

time machine is so easy to use. Plug in a mac formatted hard drive, and let it do its thing. Thats all it takes.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac57
It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy.
Your solution sounds just as viable as the others mentioned here, but lacks the automation I need in order for backups to be done regularly. If I have to do it myself, I know I'd miss a few days.

But that should be fairly easy to automate using Automator...
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Using time machine not only does backups monthly and weekly, but also hourly! And I don't notice any kind of lag while it's backing up. It's amazing.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speeding up my torrents | MS Streets & Trips of Similar for Mac? »