New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Yahoo + Mail?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ILoveMyMacbook

ILoveMyMacbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I have a normal yahoo email account, is there a way for me to use that with Mail? Or would I have to upgrade?

Thanks!

ETA a screen shot: they say I get POP access if I upgrade, so I'm assuming that I don't have it if I don't pay for it. - And POP is what I need to use Mail, right?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (15.0 KB, 6 views)

White MacBook (see specs), switched in Dec 2007 and I've been in love ever since!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyMacbook View Post
I have a normal yahoo email account, is there a way for me to use that with Mail? Or would I have to upgrade?

Thanks!

ETA a screen shot: they say I get POP access if I upgrade, so I'm assuming that I don't have it if I don't pay for it. - And POP is what I need to use Mail, right?
Try MacFreePOPs. It will allow you to use Mail to check just about any web-based mail account.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

Mac Specs: white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

This is what I get for being impatient... I already upgraded my email. - But I bookmarked that, so thanks!

But I still have a problem - I can't send emails with Mail. I think I set everything right, but it won't accept my password, and I know I'm typing it right. Plus, I can download the emails with no problems.

White MacBook (see specs), switched in Dec 2007 and I've been in love ever since!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyMacbook View Post
This is what I get for being impatient... I already upgraded my email. - But I bookmarked that, so thanks!

But I still have a problem - I can't send emails with Mail. I think I set everything right, but it won't accept my password, and I know I'm typing it right. Plus, I can download the emails with no problems.
Check you outgoing (SMTP) mail server settings, it should be set like this:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

Hmm...

I have:

And it still doesn't work.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Looks good to me. It's pretty much identical to mine.

QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

Yeah, but it doesn't work. I sent yahoo an email, I'll post the reply here when I get it.

I also tried to use Thunderbird - I figured that if the problem was caused by Mail, TB wouldn't have it - but the same happened: it asked me for my password and didn't accept it.

So I'm hoping yahoo support will be able to fix this.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Seriously? Yahoo charge people for POP access?
Is this 1994?

Switch to Gmail...

Edit: I realise it probably seems like quite a hassle, but GMail even give you free IMAP!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Seriously? Yahoo charge people for POP access?
Is this 1994?

Switch to Gmail...

Edit: I realise it probably seems like quite a hassle, but GMail even give you free IMAP!
Easier said than done. I've been trying to move off Yahoo Mail over to Gmail, but so much stuff is directed there as it was my "universal" account for so long. It's a pretty reasonable fee, as I recall (maybe $10/year). I was using MacFreePOPs, but they update it so frequently that I got tired of it and just switched to full POP access.

QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Easier said than done. I've been trying to move off Yahoo Mail over to Gmail, but so much stuff is directed there as it was my "universal" account for so long. It's a pretty reasonable fee, as I recall (maybe $10/year).
What he said. My yahoo email is what I use for everything, I've had it for years, the fee isn't a lot (20$/year ~12€/year), so I'll work with it for now.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah - I do understand the reasoning, but I dislike that type of forced lock-in...
Don't get my wrong - Gmail isn't perfect, but they seem open enough to make moving away again simple.
QUOTE Thanks
kennyleejx

kennyleejx is an unknown at this point

Yahoo mail (the free one) now does support pop forwarding, so you could use mac mail with it. Just in case everyone is looking at the mails above.

Mine's working fine. Well...almost....search my posts and you'll see my dilemna.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Old thread alert.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat version 4.0 preference windows problems | photo editing »