New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.5 - AOL issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JenC

JenC is on a distinguished road

Years ago, I bought an iBook G4, and installed AOL for Mac on it. I could use AirPort and connect wirelessly to the internet with no problem through Safari, however when I tried to access the internet through AOL, I just got a blank screen with an asterisk in the upper lefthand corner. Same with keywords, etc. I called Apple, and they walked me through, and had me find and change some setting. Of course, this was years ago.

Now I have a new Mac Book with Leopard, and I have the same exact problem -- if I try to access the internet through AOL, I can't do it. I get that same asterisk on an otherwise blank page. Of course, this time around Apple says it's an AOL glitch (which I don't doubt), but AOL won't help me figure it out because I have a free account. I can't for the life of me remember what I did all those years ago to fix the problem.

Has anyone out there had the same issue? Of course, the obvious solution is to not access the internet through AOL, but still. I want to be able to should I choose to.

Jen
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

AOL hasn't been updated in years and very well may not even be compatible with Intel Macs.

I would venture to say your best and only option is to use another provider.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Are you running 10.5.2? And did you install AOL fresh, or did you copy it over from your old iBook? (If so, you may have copied a bad installation.)

AOL is still developing their Mac client...it's still in beta (beta 14, at the moment.) They're trying to duplicate Google's success, I think, by keeping it in never-ending beta.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Are you running 10.5.2? And did you install AOL fresh, or did you copy it over from your old iBook? (If so, you may have copied a bad installation.)

AOL is still developing their Mac client...it's still in beta (beta 14, at the moment.) They're trying to duplicate Google's success, I think, by keeping it in never-ending beta.
Well that's interesting to know, I thought they had stopped.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
AOL hasn't been updated in years and very well may not even be compatible with Intel Macs.

I would venture to say your best and only option is to use another provider.
Despite my best efforts, my parents use AOL on their Intel MacBook running Leopard. So I know that it does in fact work. They only use the program though, we have DSL internet so it isn't their ISP.
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

I have an AOL account from back in the day, and when I had dial-up there was a point to using it. Can someone explain to me any benefits to using it on a broadband connection? You're already connected to the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyciaAnimation View Post
I have an AOL account from back in the day, and when I had dial-up there was a point to using it. Can someone explain to me any benefits to using it on a broadband connection? You're already connected to the internet.
Generally people keep using AOL because a) they don't know any better or b) it's just familiar to them. I've explained to many people that they don't need AOL if they have broadband, and they didn't know that. AOL of course isn't going to explain it to anyone. Some don't like getting their mail through the website, so they continue to use the client.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 08 issue | Safari problems: letter overlapping »