New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari 3.1.1. only slow loading web pages; Firefox ok

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nauset24

nauset24 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am a recent Mac switcher. I use Firefox and now Safari as browsers. Firefox is fine, loads pages in an instant, as before in XP. But Safari takes 6 - 10 seconds at least, sometimes longer to load the SAME page. The address bar starts partially highlighted in blue, I wait, and wait a bit more, and then it opens the page. If I click page forward or back, it still takes about 3 seconds, not instantaneous.

As I said, Firefox is fast, so it is not my connection (cable modem; wireless). I did clear the cache as I red in another forum.

Any suggestions? I would be grateful. Thanks.

If a dog's prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky. (Stanley is praying...hard.)
QUOTE Thanks
sereneaspiratio

sereneaspiratio is on a distinguished road

We have a brand spankin' new Imac with all updates in place and we noticed the exact same thing. I only use FF on both the Imac and my Macbook. FF is lightning fast, no problems at all.

I still have Safari installed should FF act up though.
QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Always good to know that there is someone else out there with a similar issue (I have a new MBP, too). I wonder why others haven't commented on this though. It must be a Safari issue. I have been using Safari (and Firefox) as part of my try everything MAC, and have liked it except for this issue. But I think I will go back to FF exclusively if no one has a solution.
Thanks for letting me know.

If a dog's prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky. (Stanley is praying...hard.)
QUOTE Thanks
welshwarrior

welshwarrior is on a distinguished road

I've joined up just because of this thread. Our Macbook was lightning when we first got it about 4 weeks ago. Now though, it will jam and take up to a minute to load a page, pausing at points then jumping in progress for each page.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting safari, using disk utility to reset permissions and seek for faults to the disk. Nothing has worked yet. Even this page took ages!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

This is very strange. I find the opposite to be true. FF is fast, but Safari runs circles around it on my machine. I like them both but Safari ... so far ... has the edge here.

QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
I've joined up just because of this thread. Our Macbook was lightning when we first got it about 4 weeks ago. Now though, it will jam and take up to a minute to load a page, pausing at points then jumping in progress for each page.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting safari, using disk utility to reset permissions and seek for faults to the disk. Nothing has worked yet. Even this page took ages!

That's interesting, because I don't recall that I had this problem when I first got this MBP about 3 weeks ago either. It was only after a week or two. And clearing the cache didn't help. So I wonder what's up. Have you tried Firefox? I would be curious to know if you have/don't have problems with it.

QUOTE Thanks
welshwarrior

welshwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauset24 View Post
That's interesting, because I don't recall that I had this problem when I first got this MBP about 3 weeks ago either. It was only after a week or two. And clearing the cache didn't help. So I wonder what's up. Have you tried Firefox? I would be curious to know if you have/don't have problems with it.
No haven't tried Firefox, would ideally like to fix Safari rather than switch, but if it cures it then I'll swop because it's starting to make my eyes twitch as insanity looms.

Where do I get FF?
QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post

Where do I get FF?
Just download it from mozilla - here's the link

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
This is very strange. I find the opposite to be true. FF is fast, but Safari runs circles around it on my machine. I like them both but Safari ... so far ... has the edge here.
I have to agree with JohnTheMacGeek---Safari totally runs way faster than FireFox for me. Have you tried resetting Safari to see if that does any good for you?

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
I Have you tried resetting Safari to see if that does any good for you?
How does one "reset" Safari?

QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I've always been a webkit nightly fan, since I've tried FF beta 3 minefield nightly, it's faster than both Safari and Webkit. This worked for me with Safari
If you go to ~/Library/Safari you'll see a folder called Icons which caches all of the site favicons. After extensive use, the icon cache can get very large. Simply delete the contents of the Icons folder and the Safari slowdown will be gone.

To prevent it from happening again in the future, make the Icons folder read only. You'll no longer see any Favicons in the bookmark window or menu, but it's a small price to pay for the speedup.
QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
I've always been a webkit nightly fan, since I've tried FF beta 3 minefield nightly, it's faster than both Safari and Webkit. This worked for me with Safari
If you go to ~/Library/Safari you'll see a folder called Icons which caches all of the site favicons. After extensive use, the icon cache can get very large. Simply delete the contents of the Icons folder and the Safari slowdown will be gone.

To prevent it from happening again in the future, make the Icons folder read only. You'll no longer see any Favicons in the bookmark window or menu, but it's a small price to pay for the speedup.
I don't know if this will work for me since I have only had my computer about 3 weeks and wouldn't think there would be much in there. But, I am trying to follow you directions. WHen I go to Library, then to the Safari folder, I don't see anything called icons. I have files (not folders) called: Bookmarks, Downloads, FOrm Values History, History Index, Last Session and WebpageIcons.

What am I missing here on your instructions?

QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Read this, I can't check the location, the folder doesn't exist anymore. What happens is when you have the favorite icons in bookmarks or address bar, it searches for the icons, thus the beach ball while searching.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...70416000657464
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I've had the problem lately that Safari will actually fail to find pages as if the server was down (or the name wasn't resolving), while Firefox has no problems. Not much of a problem since I use Firefox primarily, but thought it was odd Safari was having issues. Seems like I'm not the only one.
QUOTE Thanks
nauset24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post

Well, I couldn't see any Library Safari folder, so I used the reset Safari option suggested by "youthpastor" (thanks). You can check what items you want to clear, so you don't have to lose your passwords if you don't want. It does seem to help, but I would like to try the other suggestion if I can. Are you using Leopard? Just wondering why I don't see that folder. I THINK I am looking in the right place. But I am new to Mac, so maybe not.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GTA San Andreas | Games on the Mac Pro »