New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What is the best download manager for Mac? Kinda lost :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stashhh

Stashhh is on a distinguished road

Hey there. After complaining about Microsoft's softwares and OS and overall performance, I finally decided to join the revolution and got the new macbook pro just 2 days ago.

However, on Windows I used to use Internet Download Manager, the best manager I have ever used. However, far as i know there is no mac version for IDM.

So far I have used iGetter, it's good but I wasn't that impressed. Anyone care to suggest some please?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Stashhh,

Welcome to the forum. I'm new to Mac as well and the first thing I did was to download Mozilla Firefox for my browser. It has several download managers if you care to go that way. Here's the page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...e/type:1/cat:5

Good "Mac-ing" to you, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Noels has the correct idea (in my opinion) to go with Firefox. Depending what you want to do, there are lots of add-ons you can install. My favorite for downloads is this one:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/256
QUOTE Thanks
Stashhh

Stashhh is on a distinguished road

Hey, I already have downloaded Firefox, and added some extensions and blocked ads and what not. However, I prefer to use a standalone app for download management.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

http://en.cocoawget.nobody.jp/

http://www.igetter.net/

http://www.hillmanminx.net/iswipe/index.html

http://www.blackdiamond.co.za/bdmonica.html

http://www.yazsoft.com/

http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/Produ.../WebDevil.html

Take your pick. Be warned that only the first three are freeware, I think.
QUOTE Thanks
eskimoboi

eskimoboi is on a distinguished road

Speed Download
QUOTE Thanks
Ywong

Ywong is on a distinguished road

hello
help me to find free internet download manager, please when downloading until the middle, it always stops by itself and have to start over from scratch.. really need your help.. lazy to wait for the download untill finish.. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Speed Download = causes more problems than it solves. We get about one post a week from someone having "weird" problems, then they uninstall SD and the problem disappears.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Keep away from all speed download managers. Your Macxcan handle the task better and faster on its own.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
GaryMc

GaryMc is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at Speed Download. It's all a real crap shoot. I missed Orbit.
QUOTE Thanks
mrmactran

mrmactran is on a distinguished road

sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Is there any program that has the youtube video grabber like Internet Download Manager..I like the connivence of downloading the video while I watch it instead of using a second site and manually entering the URL to download the video.

For those who use IDM on windows should know what i mean.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I don't quite know what you mean, but does Fastest Tube do what you want?

You can download it here... YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube!

Edit - If I understand what you're saying, it does exactly what you want. After installing the extension, a box appears under the Youtube video and will be available to download.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
mrmactran

mrmactran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
I don't quite know what you mean, but does Fastest Tube do what you want?

You can download it here... YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube!

Edit - If I understand what you're saying, it does exactly what you want. After installing the extension, a box appears under the Youtube video and will be available to download.
Thanks for the reply, sounds exactly like what I needed!
QUOTE Thanks
Penetrex

Penetrex is on a distinguished road

Exactly what I was looking for too but it doesn't work with Chrome.

Which seriously sucks.
QUOTE Thanks
Penetrex

Penetrex is on a distinguished road

Doesn't seem to work with Safai either.

Does Safari even do multiple tabs? How?

I absolutely hate trying to watch vids stopping and starting, so use IDM to download them first. If doing that on a mac means having to use that POS Firefox then it's a real deal-breaker. I'd rather use Internet Explorer 6...

I'm trying to like my Mac but keep banging my head on things like this.

I'll try the app store later but this really is a black mark against the Mac for me. I can put up with all sorts of things but if I have to go back to where I have to "stream" video, circa 1990's, dependent upon my net connection? No, just &^%$ no.

*grumpy face*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need a program for making bootable DVD's | Word 2011 APA References Incorrect »