New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Sharing iTunes Library Between Partitions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

huy

huy is on a distinguished road

I plan on getting a MacBook soon. (I have never used a Mac before.)

My question is, is there anyway to share a library between two partitions?

I plan on using Boot Camp to boot into Leopard and Vista (sometimes Fusion to use both at once). What I want to do is have my iTunes library on my Vista and then boot into Leopard and go into iTunes with the same library. Is this possible? I love the idea of having 2 OS's, but having to update 2 libraries at once is a huge hassle, maybe iTunes for Mac uses the same type of file as iTunes for Windows to store the library and I can put a reference to link it to that file?

Thanks guys!

Edit:
I noticed that this should be in the Switcher forum. Sorry!
QUOTE Thanks
clint1986

clint1986 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

You could try creating a FAT32 partition that both Windows and Mac OS X can read/write to and store the music there.

I'm not too sure how well Mac OS X works with NTFS. I know you can read an NTFS volume easily and there are third party solutions to get write support but I'm not sure how reliable they are.
QUOTE Thanks
huy

huy is on a distinguished road

Well, I am going to keep my files on an external drive. I just want both libraries to be in sync.

Example:
I rate song "Hello" by Band ... 4 stars when I'm on Vista.
I turn off MacBook, boot into Leopard and when I go to my library, "Hello" is rated 4 stars.

Just wondering if anyone has done this?

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« paintbrush question | Safari 3.1.1 Update »