New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto Moving Photos

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SpLiZaaT

SpLiZaaT is on a distinguished road

Ok guys so I keep my photos in iPHOTO arranged differently than iPHOTO wants me to. Basically the first (at the very top) album in my iPHOTO library is composed of "Random Photos" so when I drag random pictures from my desktop into the iPHOTO window, it auto-imports them into a new "event" at the bottom of the window.

Here's where I'm frustrated. I want to move the photos out of the bottom folder and into the "Random Photos" folder at the top of the window (which isn't visible unless i Scroll up). I can't grab the photos and just "push" the window to scroll up while I hold the mouse button down to drag them...so I am forced to drop them in a folder then scroll up, pick them back up and so on and so forth until the folder at the very top becomes visible again....

What's the EASY way to do this? IT'S EXTREMELY frustrating!!!
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

When you click and drag and you reach the very top of the window it'll scroll up for you. You have to be right under the top of the window for it to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
SpLiZaaT

i doesn't do it for me....i know that's how it SHOULD work but it doesnt. I thought about just cutting the images from one album and PASTING to another but when I cut the albums it never lights up the paste option either.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Unfortunately, the organization abilities of iPhoto are just about non-existent when you have more than a few dozen events. It's really an embarrassment to the rest of the applications that come pre-installed with OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

They should already be there. The library is all the photos in iPhoto and the events folder are only to make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
SpLiZaaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakineyj View Post
They should already be there. The library is all the photos in iPhoto and the events folder are only to make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.
did you even read the thread?
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpLiZaaT View Post
did you even read the thread?
Yes I did. You are frustrated that it is hard for you to move pictures to a file where they are already anyway...
QUOTE Thanks
breuklan

breuklan is on a distinguished road

I had the EXACT same problem last night, and came her to find an answer!! No one really has one though??? I have my photos so mixed up after trying to drag them everywhere!!! no folders have the right name now, and there are duplicate photos EVERYWHERE!!!! I can not imagine this is so confusing and can't be done. HELP!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I discovered this little trick. If the random event you want to move them to is named, say, 'AAA' then rename the new event that iPhoto has installed them in to a name closer to where you want to move them to, say 'AAB'. Then the two events appear next to each other and you can grab event AAB and move it to AAA. Job done.

The real problem is when you want to sort your newly imported photos to separate events and for that I sort photos into separate folders named as above and on importing iPhoto keeps those folder names as event names and the job of moving them to existing events is a doodle.

Hope this helps.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffreystecyk

jeffreystecyk is on a distinguished road

Can't easily move photos. The last thing you ever want to do is iPhoto>View>Sort Photos>make any selection. This wipes your previous group folders. 2,000+ photos now without order. Punched my mac. Where is the phucking UNDO?!?!? Like I said...iPhoto is a piece of ****.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreystecyk View Post
Can't easily move photos. The last thing you ever want to do is iPhoto>View>Sort Photos>make any selection. This wipes your previous group folders. 2,000+ photos now without order. Punched my mac. Where is the phucking UNDO?!?!? Like I said...iPhoto is a piece of ****.
Are you sure that was all you did. I am constantly resorting my photos and my events and folders all remain intact.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreystecyk View Post
I believe you would "undo" this by going back to iPhoto>View>Sort Photos and selecting whatever method was originally being used to sort them. Should put them back the way they were originally.
QUOTE Thanks
Rateka

Rateka is on a distinguished road

As Alycia said, you have to drag the picture and sit it on the top bar then it will start scrolling up for you. It is quite frustrating to find the right position but it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1Password | Adium ICQ Registration request send »