TextEdit copying query
    Hi all

I have 50,000 separate lines in textedit. Each line contains about 25 letters max.

What I need to do is select and copy for example line 24000 to line 50000. To literally scroll over these lines will take an eternity plus I have 17 such files.

Is there better way of doing this i.e. some command I am missing. I tried pasting to Numbers but there is no helpful function etc their either. I cannot find anything in automator.

Any help would be appreciated.

TKs
    recent mac convert.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by asquire View Post
    Hi all

I have 50,000 separate lines in textedit. Each line contains about 25 letters max.

What I need to do is select and copy for example line 24000 to line 50000. To literally scroll over these lines will take an eternity plus I have 17 such files.

Is there better way of doing this i.e. some command I am missing. I tried pasting to Numbers but there is no helpful function etc their either. I cannot find anything in automator.

Any help would be appreciated.

TKs
    recent mac convert.
    I would take a look at a more robust Text Editor like Text Wrangler to be honest. Those sound like pretty heavy duty text files.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    I second TextWrangler...it should handle large files better than TextEdit.

Also, to more directly address your question...you can select large areas of text by clicking to place the insertion point at the beginning of the desired selection, and then holding down the shift key and clicking again at the end. So, just click, scroll, and shift-click. No need to drag over thousands of lines. (This should work in most any application.)

cwa107 and technologist

Excellent. Thank you very much. Such a simple solution that I feel like an idiot for not knowing. The text files are actually going to be used in three arrays on VB(I still have to learn xcode!). The system cannot handle 900,000 array items so I have to split the original file data up and run sub programs on them. You have made this process a billion times easier.

Tks
    squire

ps nice to see Deming is still being read.

Thread Information