New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

.Mac account?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danjstock

danjstock is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Is there any real benefits of opening a .mac account?

I would like to sync my email with my Mail app but my hotmail account won't do it. Am I best off paying for a proper hotmail account or .mac?

Any help will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Neither, get a free Gmail account that will probably offer more than either service.

Paying for email doesn't make sense unless you're either getting a personalized domain name or something above and beyond what free email services offer.

With Hotmail, you're paying for features (mainly POP access) that nearly everyone else offers for fre.

With .mac you're mainly paying for the other .mac services, which you may or may not need. Either way, you're tying yourself into yearly $99 payments which is a fair amount unless you really plan on using the other services as well.

Gmail offers tons of storage, a great web client, free POP & IMAP support as well as support for collecting mails from other accounts and multiple addresses.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I really don't see the value overall. As someone with two Macs, I thought it would be great for syncing, and it did work quite nicely, but since my trial membership has expired, I have found other ways to achieve the same result. In the end, if you have to argue with yourself as to whether the $99 is worth it, it likely isn't. The value should be obvious if it is there. If it isn't obvious to you, don't go for it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

httpmail is a plugin available that allows hotmail to work with apples mail program check it out. My wife refuses to switch to gmail from hotmail so I found this plugin for her macbook and it works.
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

I can't speak for everyone but I've been a .Mac subscriber for a little over year and it's worth it to me because of iDisk, IMAP e-mail, and the integration w/ iPhoto.

I started using .Mac mail b/c Yahoo mail was (and still is) having issues... I was getting e-mails bounced back and so was my g/f's Yahoo account. PLus, their POP server is garbage and will send back "invalid password" errors randomly.

Gmail has an excellent POP and IMAP server; however, I feel that Gmail has some privacy implications so I've been hesitant to use it as my primary account.

I happen to like .Mac e-mail but their webmail has some bugs in it (primarily w/ Junk filtering and printing). Apparently they are aware of it and working on it, but when a fix comes along is anyones' guess. On the whole, they have the highest uptime I've experienced and it's been pretty reliable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTune Skinning? | Norton Anti-Virus for Mac v 11.0 now out »