New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Weird problem with Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

This is an odd issue I've been having with Mail all day long. Every so often, I'll notice my fan coming on (very, very rare) along with iStat showing that one of my cores is pegged. It shows that Mail is using about 100% of my processor (1 core). When I try to quit the application by right clicking on on the icon in the dock, it freezes up the program and makes me force quit it.

Has anyone else had any problem like this?

Thanks,
Damien

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

I haven't add any issues with Mail for me. Does Mail cause this to happen while it is sitting idle, or when trying to send/receive mail? Weird...keep me posted if you find anything out.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
This is an odd issue I've been having with Mail all day long. Every so often, I'll notice my fan coming on (very, very rare) along with iStat showing that one of my cores is pegged. It shows that Mail is using about 100% of my processor (1 core). When I try to quit the application by right clicking on on the icon in the dock, it freezes up the program and makes me force quit it.

Has anyone else had any problem like this?

Thanks,
Damien
My first thought is the Mail app. is bad. The other would be corrupt preferences files.
I would try using Pacifist and install a new Mail app. first. See if it helps.

If not, try creating a new user account and run Mail thru there. If no problems, probably a corrupt preference file in the home folder. If there's still problems, there are a few preference files outside of the home folder you could delete, as well.
Just make sure you backup any files and settings.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

It happens when it's idle. It's really strange. I'm going to verify preference files and delete corrupt ones with MainMenu. Hopefully, that'll fix it.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

I'm still having my problem with Mail. Does anyone know if I could use Time Machine to back up Mail to its state before this problem started?

QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

You never mentioned if you tried re-installing the Mail app.
If so, try Time Machine. It's what its for.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
RN14

RN14 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with Mail and Address Book. Everything would freeze. After days of searching through forums I found a recommendation to delete iStat. I deleted it and everything now works fine!
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

I finally got around to finding the mail preference files and deleting them. This has fixed the problem, although I had to reenter my mail setup info.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Roxio Crunch - Leopard 5.2 problems | How-to: automatically Printing from Fash without "Print Box" Pop-up window? »