New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Suggestions for advanced text list editing app?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m021478

m021478 is on a distinguished road

I was hoping that somebody could recommend a good advanced text list editing application, that I could use to edit a massive text list that I have, in which there is both a leading space and a trailing space at the beginning and end of every item in my text list, which I am trying to get rid of.

Normally, I would use Microsoft Word's Find/Replace feature to replace a particular text character with a different character of my choosing, however, if I were to try and use this feature to remove every space in my document, it would also mess things up quite a bit by removing spaces that exist correctly between the words for various items in my text list.

Does anyone know how I could go about accomplishing this task?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi m021478, how massive is massive? If it is not gigabytes in size, and is pure text, I would recommend my own VE text editor. VE is a Terminal.app text editor in the mode of vi, but much, much friendlier and easier to use. It has a set of column commands (the same sort of thing is also available in other advanced text editors such as emacs, and is known as rectangle commands in these editors) which can do this very thing: delete a leading space at the start of each line, or each entry, and also delete a trailing space at the end of each line or entry. You can get the Mac version of VE here.

In some cases, if the file has a regular format, the column commands will do the trick. In cases where each line is of differing indentation and size, a combination of the Find and Replace commands can do the job.

In the worst case, you can create a simple interactive macro that will do the trick as well.

If this is a "one of" (yes, I REALLY do mean "one of", not "one off", which is an abomination), I would be willing to do the job for you. PM me if this is the case and we can arrange to transfer the file to me. I can do the work and transfer it back.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Am I correct in assuming that each item in the list is on it's own line, with the leading and trailing spaces?

Using TextWrangler, it would be pretty easy...do a find-and-replace to substitue " \r " (space + return-sequence + space) with "\r" (return-sequence)

You could probably do the same thing with Word's find-and-replace; just carefully select a space-linebreak-space combination, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the find field, and then paste a linebreak by itself into the replace field.

TextWrangler, though, is much less temperamental than Word about such things.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfering music from iTunes to External HDD | iWork 08 and MacBook Pro »