New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari 3.1 frequent crashing on Mac OS X Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Ever since I got the software update with Safari 3.1, the browser became dysfunctional. Sure, it fixed the autofill issue I had before (not prompting to save usernames and passwords); but I can't seem to use the browser unlike before.

Everytime I use hotkeys/shortcuts like Command + Q, Command + W (the ones to quit the program, or close a tab/window); Safari crashes and the error report would show up, the one asking whether I should reopen or close. When I use other hotkeys, like Command + T, it would function well.

I'm still using Tiger since I've heard a lot of problems with Leopard (I don't intend on switching until December maybe). Does anyone encounter this kind of problem too? Please help me! Much appreciated.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Can anyone please help me?

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I don't know about help but I am also having problems with Safari. I also run Tiger and Safari now crashes, wont open up to 10 sites, etc, etc. I finally (temporarily) gave up and went to Firefox. I will probably upgrade to Leopard in the next couple of months.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The problems I have with Safari in Tiger is that I have to force quit it about once a day, I'd say. Sometimes even when I try to quit Safari, it just does not respond and goes red in the Force Quit window. I used to think it had something to do with online Flash games I played and that somehow forced a memory leak or something but lately I simply don't have time for games at all and Safari is still kicking up a dreadful fuss.

I use two add-ons, Saft and SafariBlock so I wonder if these wouldn't have something to do with this problem. They were both updated, though, to be compatible with Safari 3 so I really dunno.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Odd, I haven't had any problems on mine. Do you have this in your /Library/Internet-Plugins?
QuickTime Plugin.webplugin
If so, try removing it and see if it helps.
(that's root, not your home library)
I don't use Saft but do use SafariBlock and it works fine.
Also update to the latest version of Flash.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Like cradom, I have had zero problems with the latest Safari. In fact, it pretty much instantly has become one of my two favorite browsers ever (believe it or not, Sunrise is my other favorite).

I use no plugins of any sort, so that may explain why it is working well for me. I am running a completely "vanilla" Safari installation.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

Yeah, my safari has been crasing like crazy, so Im now stuck with firefox for now
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

vemilipede, can you tell us more about your config? What OS version, what machine, and do you have any Safari extensions loaded?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
vemilipede, can you tell us more about your config? What OS version, what machine, and do you have any Safari extensions loaded?
OS Tiger (latest update.)

Blackbook (about a year old)

No extensions loaded.
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

So can I clarify this situation?

Are people saying that Safari 3.x works perfectly with 10.5.x and that the issues with Safari 3.0.x seem to be mainly when running Tiger?

I've yet to take the Leopard plunge and was considering upgrading to Safari 3.x but don't want to rock the boat if it's going to cause me problems.

Is the advice to wait until I upgrade to 10.5.x before upgrading Safari?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
clint1986

clint1986 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

I'm noticing that I'm suffering a lot of crashes with Safari 3.1 and Tiger 10.4.11 at the moment. It's worse when I view a site that uses Flash, like when I'm using the BBC's streaming iPlayer.

I'm using Camino for the time being.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I had to force quit Safari 3.1 (Tiger) three times today...
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthe View Post
So can I clarify this situation?

Are people saying that Safari 3.x works perfectly with 10.5.x and that the issues with Safari 3.0.x seem to be mainly when running Tiger?

I've yet to take the Leopard plunge and was considering upgrading to Safari 3.x but don't want to rock the boat if it's going to cause me problems.

Is the advice to wait until I upgrade to 10.5.x before upgrading Safari?

Thanks.
So I know this got lost in the dicussion but I'm still wondering...

Is it the consensus that it's better to wait to upgrade Safari until after 10.5.x is installed?
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

I'm also using the latest update of Tiger, and my Safari doesn't have any extensions installed (actually I never installed any extension ever since I got my MacBook). It crashes everytime I use the closing hotkeys. That's all.

I'm stuck with Firefox. It's good, but I've always favored Safari more than any other browser.

If Safari 3 only works with Leopard, then that's something Apple should fix; they should at least provide a Safari 2.x release that's stable since Safari 3 is still in BETA right? Not everyone has upgraded to Leopard yet.

QUOTE Thanks
bLuE

bLuE is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem! Running Tiger 10.4.11 and ever since I updated to Safari 3.1 it quits upon launching. Tried everything apple recommends to fix the issue (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107657), none of it works.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Annoying Appleworks filing | Mail is stuck »