New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Keeping Local mailboxes on an External Drive--Envelope Index Questio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr10012

mr10012 is on a distinguished road

I am using three Macs (two iMacs and an MBAir) and I am keeping all my documents on an external USB Hard disk which I plug into whichever machine I am using.

I am running Mail 3.2 under Leopard (10.5.2) on all three machines, using an IMAP account.
While IMAP takes care of synchronizing my emails on the server, I have about 150,000 messages stored in local mailboxes. What I would like to do is to have Mail store these local mailboxes on my external USB drive.

What I did was copy the contents of ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes to a Mailboxes directory on the USB drive, deleted ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes, and created a symbolic link that links ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes to /Volumes/USB/Mailboxes. Then I deleted Envelope Index and started Mail, which reimported my 150,000 local messages, created a new "Envelope Index" file (about 70MB) (and an "Envelope Index-1" file (about 300K) and everything worked great.

My problem is that while this solution works at first, after a few times of moving the USB drive between the three computers it stops working, even though I made no change at all to my local mailboxes. When I display the messages in a local mailbox or I search in Mail, the messages turn up fine, but when I open a message, a different message opens, not matching what was in the Mailbox or Search list. Interestingly, Spotlight still works fine and can locate the correct message (i.e. the correct message opens when I click on the Spotlight results). In order to make Mail work again, I must quit Mail, delete the Envelope Index files, and reimport all my local messages, which takes a long time. I imagine the problem is that after unmounting and remounting the USB drive, the information in Envelope Index somehow does not work any more.

I have the following questions for someone that understands how Mail stores and indexes messages, and how volumes get mounted:
1. Any ideas about how to avoid the problem I am having with the Envelope Index getting "out of sync" with the mailboxes on the USB drive? My USB drive has a standard Mac OS filesystem.
2. Is there a better way to have Mail store messages in an external drive?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BBC iPlayer... | iMovie Blue Screen »