New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time & Date changes when switching OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macanoob

Macanoob is on a distinguished road

guys i have successfully installed Vista using Bootcamp which came with Leopard 10.5.2. in OSX i have set correctly according to my timezone etc...including saved it and locked preventing from further changes) afterwhich i installed Bootcamp -> Vista (same correctly region / timezome / etc done) Now....whenever i switch between OSX <-> Vista, the Time just couldn't shown correctly to my timezone / region. any idea what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

is there a way to use GMT+X (x = hours differences) like those in Windows? it getting into my nerves right now...

1. checked on "Set date & time automatically" <time.asia.apple.com>
2. reset all time according to my timezone
3. set to SGT - Singapore (love to see just GMT+8 but none can be seen)
4. saved and locked to prevent further changes

ok i swtched to Vista...

time was reset to about 4-5hours away from my current. BUT my timezone is GMT+8 (Hongkong, Beijing, Singapore) which is correct. i change to the correct time again.

switched back to OSX...WTF!!! again wrong time....
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The problem is that Windows calculates the time differently from how OS X calculates it. Here's an article that discusses it.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

OS X adheres to the "more accurate" method, called Universal Time. There is a switch in Windows XP's registry that is supposed to make it use UT, but reportedly it doesn't work very well.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06072022590888
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
The problem is that Windows calculates the time differently from how OS X calculates it. Here's an article that discusses it.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

OS X adheres to the "more accurate" method, called Universal Time. There is a switch in Windows XP's registry that is supposed to make it use UT, but reportedly it doesn't work very well.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06072022590888
thanks for the link...anyway how about those using Bootcamp with XP / Vista? do you all face the same like mine?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanoob View Post
thanks for the link...anyway how about those using Bootcamp with XP / Vista? do you all face the same like mine?
Of course everyone does. No one has special copies of Windows that use Universal Time.... they don't exist. My personal suggestion.... assuming you don't use any Windows apps that are time-sensitive or put a time-stamp on anything... is to simply tell Windows you are in whatever time zone it takes to fool the clock into showing the local time. And turn off the clock preference in Windows so it doesn't auto-update the time.

An alternative is to get a program for Windows that shows the time using Universal Time and just ignore the time in the System Tray. This one might do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

once again thanks for your reply...i found a article from macosxhints.com
look here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70507030228844

omg this problem been persist since 2007 and mac seems not doing anything better till date...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mail not saving drafts | Lab Tick 0.7 »