New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problem with Mail need help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Josh_MacMan

Josh_MacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV

I've been using Mail for a while now without issue but today I went to look at some older emails maybe one month old and notice everything from about 3 weeks ago and older is blank, the emails are listed with subjects intact but when I open them they are totally blank...
I really need to access the information in these emails any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not made any changes to anything in quite a while so I'm not sure whats up.

Ok, heres an update on something I did just after posting this, I imported everything from mail to entourage (which I never used) and everything is fine, so why is mail not showing my older emails properly...

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
sbvishal

sbvishal is on a distinguished road

May be there was some setting regarding keeping the mail for a predefined time and you set it to 3 weeks

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_MacMan View Post
I've been using Mail for a while now without issue but today I went to look at some older emails maybe one month old and notice everything from about 3 weeks ago and older is blank, the emails are listed with subjects intact but when I open them they are totally blank...
I really need to access the information in these emails any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not made any changes to anything in quite a while so I'm not sure whats up.

Ok, heres an update on something I did just after posting this, I imported everything from mail to entourage (which I never used) and everything is fine, so why is mail not showing my older emails properly...

Vishal Singh Bhardvaj
QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

Could be, but I kinda doubt that, I figured if something like that was enabled the emails wouldn't be there at all but I'll take a look at that tonight.

QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

First, have you tried the Rebuild command? (under Mailbox menu)

You can also go to homefolder~Library/Mail/your Account/(inbox, sent, etc..)/messages and select them there. (long way, but good to know)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

Soulwar, I haven't tried that, I will when I get home tonight.

QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

I did the rebuild command and all those messages are now gone, they dont even show up...plus i dont see anywhere where I set Mail to delete any messages after a certain amount of time....

ugh this is terrible I am missing so much email now...this is not good at all, so only email from 3/10/2008 and newer is showing....wheres my last years worth of email?!!?!?!? ugh!

QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

No one else has any other input? I have a hard time believing at least a years worth of email just disappeared. I'm afraid to even use Mail anymore.

QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Did you follow the path I posted and see if they are still there?
Maybe post all your mail settings and see if we can't find the problem. If everything is set properly, something may have become corrupted.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

I did check the path and the only emails listed are the ones in mail, so all the missing emails are also missing from that folder as well...

QUOTE Thanks
m2nk2

m2nk2 is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem. But for me its all mails except the ones i recieved today. I can see the topic etc, but i can't see the message it self. And i really really need to read one of the mails.

Has anyone, i haven't really tried anything yet as i don't want to lose the mails completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

How do you access your mails, via POP or IMAP?
Which provider?
QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

It's POP and it's through my website host. Mail was set up to just download all the emails and set not to leave any on the server.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_MacMan View Post
It's POP and it's through my website host. Mail was set up to just download all the emails and set not to leave any on the server.
Hmm weird...

Oh well, just restore them from your Time machine backup!
QUOTE Thanks
m2nk2

m2nk2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Hmm weird...

Oh well, just restore them from your Time machine backup!
Haven't got one :/
QUOTE Thanks
Josh_MacMan

Yeah, that is my problem as well. I started using Time Machine and then went back to doing regular full backups of my HD, and by the time I realized the problem my backup had the same issue because I overwrite my backups after a certain amount of time. Now I am using Time Machine again as I figure'd it would have saved me from this issue.

It just bothers me that this has happened in the first place and I cannot figure out why. I work in IT and I am very diligent when it comes to taking care of my computers and usually when someone says "something disappeared" it is usually user error, however in my case I am almost completely sure I did nothing wrong to cause this.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Manager other than Finder | In Search of a good scrapbooking program »