New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.5 - Leopard Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walton12

walton12 is on a distinguished road

So I just set up my gmail with the Apple Mail client. It was very easy. However, I have a few questions...

Does the mail from my gmail account which I see in the mail client actually takes up space on my Hard drive? If so, what is the best way to deal with that?

If I delete something using the mail client, will it be deleted from my gmail account online?

Do you guys even use the mail client apple offers? Why or why not?

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Looks like gmail uses POP, which means the mail will be downloaded to your machine.. Best way to deal with saving space is to delete mail you don't need. Especially that with attachments. I use the mail app. I have no reason not to, I really would be happy with mail.. or pine for that matter so the included mail client.. is much more full featured than either of those
QUOTE Thanks
walton12

if i delete something from my Leopard Mail program, will it be deleted if I check my mail online?
QUOTE Thanks
witka

witka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by walton12 View Post
if i delete something from my Leopard Mail program, will it be deleted if I check my mail online?
If you delete something in your inbox, it goes to your Trash folder. Then when you empty the Trash it is gone for good. Deleting a message in Mail has no effect on Gmail - you can physically go into Gmail later and you will see those messages still there...

There is a way to setup Mail to delete messages from the server - it's under Preferences -> Advanced
QUOTE Thanks
wafflewoman

wafflewoman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb

Gmail can also use IMAP. So if you read it thru Mail and delete it, it will delete it from Gmail - provided you have it set up as an IMAP account.

QUOTE Thanks
walton12

Thanks for the replies.

One quick question:

Is there a way to set a time you can hover over an email before it gets marked as a "read" email?
QUOTE Thanks
Sjain

Sjain is on a distinguished road

I want my Gmail account to be set up so I can delete mail in AppleMail and it will automatically delete it off the gmail server ... I changed the account type from POP to IMAP like someone above mentioned ...

But now my existing mail on the gmail server isn't downloading to my AppleMail. How do I sync those so that I can get all existing mail downloaded there???
QUOTE Thanks
fishepa

fishepa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by walton12 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

One quick question:

Is there a way to set a time you can hover over an email before it gets marked as a "read" email?
Not that I am aware of.

War Eagle!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My applications keep getting deleted! | Nestopia SNES Emulator »