Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   any good free backup applications? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/102570-any-good-free-backup-applications.html)

deathtolife04 03-28-2008 01:23 AM

any good free backup applications?

I bought an external hard drive today and it's only copied 10.19 GB in an hour and a half. I'm using SuperDuper, but I just realized that I'd have to pay $30 and get the full version to use "smart update", otherwise I'm gonna have to wait 6-7 hours again next time I wanna update.

I'm planning on updating at least once a day, so I'm gonna need to pay the $30 for the program, or find a free application with a smart update-like feature.

Do any of you know of any good free backup applications with a "smart update" feature?

Or do any of you know where I could find a "coupon code" for SuperDuper?

DRUNK 03-28-2008 01:41 AM

go to www.versiontracker.com

AlyciaAnimation 03-28-2008 02:26 AM

What about Time Machine? Do you have Leopard?

DRUNK 03-28-2008 03:34 AM

yeah if you have leopard then just use

giulio 03-28-2008 09:50 AM

carbon copy cloner is very popular

harryb2448 03-28-2008 06:47 PM

SuperDuper (registered with Smart Backup) is the go but question one - are you using Firewire or USB 2? USB 2 is not really a Mac thing and is oh so slow. SuperDuper took about 2 hours to back up 25GB, however the Smart Update does a weekly check and upgrade in about twenty minutes.

You can't blame the developer for wanting a buck for his/their hard work I guess.

deathtolife04 03-28-2008 11:56 PM

OK so SuperDuper was going really slow, but I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it did it all in 2 and a half hours. I'm using USB because it needs to work with mac & pc, plus I don't have any more outlets left in my room.

What do I need to do to just UPDATE it with Carbon Copy Cloner now, instead of totally erasing the HD and cloning it again? Do I just have to select "incremental backup of selected items" and remember what folders & stuff I have edited/added to and select those, or is there another way?

deathtolife04 03-30-2008 07:52 PM

*bump

chscag 03-31-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathtolife04 (Post 624116)
OK so SuperDuper was going really slow, but I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it did it all in 2 and a half hours. I'm using USB because it needs to work with mac & pc, plus I don't have any more outlets left in my room.

What do I need to do to just UPDATE it with Carbon Copy Cloner now, instead of totally erasing the HD and cloning it again? Do I just have to select "incremental backup of selected items" and remember what folders & stuff I have edited/added to and select those, or is there another way?

Use the incremental backup. CCC will know which folders\files have changed since your last backup. However, you might want to consider doing a complete backup every so often - that is, erasing and doing a full backup. CCC will also make sure your external USB drive is bootable in case you run into difficulty with your internal HD. Regards.

deathtolife04 03-31-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 625481)
Use the incremental backup. CCC will know which folders\files have changed since your last backup. However, you might want to consider doing a complete backup every so often - that is, erasing and doing a full backup. CCC will also make sure your external USB drive is bootable in case you run into difficulty with your internal HD. Regards.

Thank you!
I'll try that next time.
:)