New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to remove Norton prefs from panel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thinkbible

I tried a Demo copy of Norton AntiVirus which placed "Norton Auto-Protect" and "Norton QuickMenu" in an "Other" section on my System Preferences panel. (I've deleted the Norton apps themselves).

I've found the other panels and I've searched for "norton" on my drive but nothing comes up. I don't see them with my other pref panels.

How do I remove these control panels from my prefs?
QUOTE Thanks
johnny5w

Check both ../Library/PreferencePanes or ../User/Library/PreferencePanes. Is it not in either?
QUOTE Thanks
thinkbible

Got it. Listed under Symantec instead of Norton.... Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
Autoworld

Hi all. I'm new to this list. Hoping someone would like to revisit this topic. I have the exact same problem that ThinkBible did: after I removed everything related to Norton, I still have two icons in my System Preferences screen.

When I click on either of the icons, it gives a "preferences error" and says it cannot load. Doing a system search, I find no files left on my system that relate to "norton" or "symantec."

Looking in my /Library/PreferencePanes folder, I count 26 files -- same as the number of icons:

I find no files that correspond with a Norton icon, but there is one that looks suspicious (highlighted in red). I thought I'd delete it, but I can't.

Any ideas? It's these little things that drive me nuts! Thanks. :headphone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prefpanes icon screen.jpg (53.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg pref panes folder.jpg (104.7 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Autoworld

PS: I have an iMac, 1GHz PowerPC G4, that's running 10.2.8.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

Norton is notorious (nortonrious? :p) for leaving little bits of crap all over the place.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You may want to look at your "user/Library/Preferences" and your "/Library/Preferences" folders. Also just do a file search on "Norton". Those options should pull up all of the stray files. Then you can safely delete them once you have found them.
As for the one highlighted in red, have you tried seeing if the file is locked? Do a Get Info on it and see if there are any restrictions on it. You may need to unlock it before you can delete it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Don't just look for Norton, Look for Symantec. Norton does this same stuff in Windows also. Leave files all over the place and hundreds of registery entrys with Symantec.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

also make sure to look in your application support folders. though I think that would be included in the search.
just a question, but there are no viruses on os x, so why use norton anti virus? unless you're networked with wintel machines. but even if there were viruses, norton is the worse excuse for protection of any kind and it often causes more damage than any virus would.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Don't just look for Norton, Look for Symantec. Norton does this same stuff in Windows also. Leave files all over the place and hundreds of registery entrys with Symantec.
Thanks, I forgot about that. Its been so long since I used a Norton/Symantec program

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Autoworld

D3v1L80Y: thanks ... had tried unlocking but I cannot get it to delete.

dtravis7f: thanks ... as mentioned in my first note, I did that. When I do a search there is no mention whatsoever of files with either "norton" or "symantec" in their names. I am wondering if there are abbreviated files like "nav" (norton anit virus) or something.

You guys have a file in your system/preferencepanes called "Ink.prefPane"?

Thanks, Bob
QUOTE Thanks
Autoworld

Macman: I had heard that there were a *few* viruses out there for the Mac, so I thought I'd give it a try. I shoulda known better. Ironically these two Norton icons are about as hard to remove as a virus.

-Bob
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworld
D3v1L80Y: thanks ... had tried unlocking but I cannot get it to delete.

dtravis7f: thanks ... as mentioned in my first note, I did that. When I do a search there is no mention whatsoever of files with either "norton" or "symantec" in their names. I am wondering if there are abbreviated files like "nav" (norton anit virus) or something.

You guys have a file in your system/preferencepanes called "Ink.prefPane"?

Thanks, Bob
The Ink.prefPane just opens entire System Preferences. Clicking on an individual file like "EnergySaver.prefPane" will opent the System Preferences with the Energy Saver in focus. If you don't have one for Norton showing, then that is definitely odd.

Have you tried repairing permissions? Maybe running something like MacJanitor will help as well. Outside of that I am just as stumped as you are.

QUOTE Thanks
Autoworld

D3v1L80Y: Thanks. Yeah, I figured out what that file was *just after* I posted the message.

The strange thing is, if anyone goes back and looks at my two screen shots, you'll notice I have 26 icons in the System Preferences window *and* 26 files in my PreferencePane folder. But when I open each file, I find a legitimate Mac preference program. I can't seem to find a corresponding file to match the two icons. Isn't that a weird one?

Taking your recommendation, I tried repairing permissions. No change. Aaarrrgh! :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworld
D3v1L80Y: Thanks. Yeah, I figured out what that file was *just after* I posted the message.

The strange thing is, if anyone goes back and looks at my two screen shots, you'll notice I have 26 icons in the System Preferences window *and* 26 files in my PreferencePane folder. But when I open each file, I find a legitimate Mac preference program. I can't seem to find a corresponding file to match the two icons. Isn't that a weird one?

Taking your recommendation, I tried repairing permissions. No change. Aaarrrgh! :mad:
You are running 10.2.8 correct? The other day a friend of mine got a little Mac server and wanted my help. I installed it on my Mini with Panther and later my old Yikes! G4 with Jaugar 10.2.8. It would not go away from Preferences. I went to the preference pane and nothing. Eventually I had to go to the terminal and into the nix folders and zap it from there. Glad I remembered my command line unix from my Linux days. I doubt Norton put files there but I thought I would mention it anyway.

One more thing, under Panther all I had to do is go to the preferences and right click on the icon for the server and there was an option to delete. In 10.2.8 there was no right click and no way to delete it. COuld be the same thing with yours. Will some searching around and see if I can find the answer for you. If you ever use any AntiVirus with OSX try Virux by McAfee. Better program. Right now I don't see any need for AV on OSX unless like has already been stated you are on a windows network.

Update, Try this link. It's a PDF file. See if any of this helps.

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/...allnorton8.pdf
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone have problems with 'HP Communications'? | Renaming Tracks in iTunes »