New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iChat and ICQ

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thefishofwisdom

thefishofwisdom is on a distinguished road

Just a quick question about iChat as I will be switching to Mac soon. My girlfriend IM's using ICQ. I personally use AIM now and that's fine because it works with ICQ. However, once I go to college with me new macbook pro, I won't have AIM as an option. I read that iChat is compatible with AIM, but is it transitively compatible with ICQ as well? If so, is video chat with ICQ possible from iChat, too? If not, is there another app that would work? Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Apparently you can add ICQ users to your iChat buddy list, but you can't log in with an ICQ account yourself. There are text formatting issues though. See this link for more details.

Video chat is going to be pretty much out of the question, it seems, between AIM and ICQ. In fact, aside from iChat (for AIM users), your options are pretty scarce. Yahoo Messenger is the only other one I know of.

There is a client called Adium that is very popular. It supports ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, and so on. No video support yet, though it is coming soon. And Trillian is alpha testing a port of their Windows IM client that will do A/V also.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You should have no problem using iChat as a basic ICQ client. There's also an actual ICQ client for the Mac, as well as the multi-network clients like Adium.
QUOTE Thanks
thefishofwisdom

thefishofwisdom is on a distinguished road

Let me rephrase the question. In your opinion, what is the best (free) option to set up a video chat session bewteen my mac to my girlfriend's pc?
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

From what I've been reading it seems that you can video chat between icq and ichat. I've never actually tested it out though.

If that fails, there's always Skype. You can Video chat Skype to Skype for free.

Or your girlfriend could get AIM. Is that still free to get an AIM screenname? Haven't looked into AIM in a long time.

But there are plenty of options for free video chats.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 3.1 | telnet problem :(( »