Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    Did iTunes ever play/convert WMA files?
    I have some music that has always been in WMA format since I ripped it from my CDs (ripped them before switching to Mac). I know for sure at one time I had them in my iTunes library, but now of course I can't import them in their current format.

So did iTunes used to play/convert the files? Was it because I was using iTunes on my PC and that version will play/convert them? I know the point is moot since I can just re-rip the CDs, but it's a little mystery I can't figure out.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    You used to be able to see them, and 'convert selection' to AAC/MP3. However, I don't think they could be played.

I would strongly recommend you re-rip the CDs anyway, becaise converting from one compressed lossy format to another, results in a very poor audio file.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I'm definitely not paying for a conversion program, so I'll definitely re-rip them anyway. I just couldn't figure out why I didn't have to in the past. Thanks.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I'm definitely not paying for a conversion program, so I'll definitely re-rip them anyway.
    No, iTunes used to offer the option to view and convert them (for free) to AAC, at least within Windows.

But yes, re-rip them... now that iPods have so much more storage, I am tempted to re-rip mine. My entire CD collection is ripped at 192kbps MP3. I am tempted to re-rip the whole lot @ 320kbps.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    No, iTunes used to offer the option to view and convert them (for free) to AAC, at least within Windows.

But yes, re-rip them... now that iPods have so much more storage, I am tempted to re-rip mine. My entire CD collection is ripped at 192kbps MP3. I am tempted to re-rip the whole lot @ 320kbps.
    Same here - but the thought of having to go back through 250+ CDs is unappealing. A friend of mine just recently used a ripping service to do it, and they returned everything on just a few DVDs. But in the process, they ripped the entire library in both 320kbps MP3 and AAC lossless and included the cover art.

I'll have to ask him how much he paid, but I know he had an extensive collection, likely much larger than my own.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Same here - but the thought of having to go back through 250+ CDs is unappealing. A friend of mine just recently used a ripping service to do it, and they returned everything on just a few DVDs. But in the process, they ripped the entire library in both 320kbps MP3 and AAC lossless and included the cover art.

I'll have to ask him how much he paid, but I know he had an extensive collection, likely much larger than my own.
    I'd be interested to know! I've fairly recently started using earbuds that are definately good enough to tell the difference. 192kbps is still pretty good, but given the choice I'd now go for a higher bit-rate.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    I'd be interested to know! I've fairly recently started using earbuds that are definately good enough to tell the difference. 192kbps is still pretty good, but given the choice I'd now go for a higher bit-rate.
    He's one of my coworkers who happened to have called in sick this morning. I will ask him when he returns and update the thread with both the name of the service and the pricing.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

With hard disk space so cheap, I no longer bother with MP3, though I still have a few thousand audio files in that format.

I use AAC, FLAC or APE - I can convert them to MP3, if I need to.

If MP3 is important to you, consider using VBR instead of CBR with good encoder (e.g. LAME etc).

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    There used to be a Plugin for Quicktime that allowed iTunes to play WMA. When apple went to a newer version of Quicktime, it broke the Plugin and am not sure if it was ever fixed. I lost touch with the programmer. Will see what I can find. I used to use it before Quicktime 7 came along. This was on my Macs with OSX Panther.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambaud View Post
    With hard disk space so cheap, I no longer bother with MP3, though I still have a few thousand audio files in that format.

I use AAC, FLAC or APE - I can convert them to MP3, if I need to.

If MP3 is important to you, consider using VBR instead of CBR with good encoder (e.g. LAME etc).
    When I re-encode, I'll use AAC 320kbps - however whilst disk space is no longer the issue, battery life is. Really huge files will drain the battery a lot quicker. Those 20 - 30 hours could end up being less than half that.
    - Joan D. Vinge

I should have added Apple Lossless to my earlier list.

I have not had a problem with battery drain - but I have not played the music for that long to make it problem.

Thread Information