New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Adware/Spyware in Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kalil

kalil is on a distinguished road

Hi People,

I am using Leopard OS on a Mac Book Pro. In the past few days when I try to open some websites or pages in Safari or Fire Fox. The pages don't open, but instead another page opens with advertisements and it has the same name and address as the page I was trying to open.

I tried everything, reseting the browsers deleting all the cookies, but it won't work.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

name of the site. How do you have your firewall configured?Have you also upgraded your browser to the newest Safari.
There is not any known reports of spyware,malware or viruses on a mac.You will be one of the first that have ran into this sort of situation.Please answer the following and then we can go forth from there (With what know how i can input for you)
Regards
QUOTE Thanks
MacRenegade

MacRenegade is on a distinguished road

Wow. The first Adware for OS X, that's amazing... O.o

Breaking Benjamin | Korn | Three Days Grace | Seether | Chevelle | Dope | Adema | Rage Against The Machine | Limp Bizkit
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The pages are using javascript both to redirect you to another page and to hold the address in the menu bar to make it look like the site you visited.

The address bar hack is a common feature of bank phishing sites as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#Website_forgery

Whatever site you visited may be just one of a number of linked false sites that could direct your browser to phishing sites, or worse - sites that show illegal content.

Best stay away, you don't want your ISP alerted to any sites you have unintentionally been directed to, you could find that you can get in to legal trouble and it will be up to you to explain how it happened.

Just never visit those sites again, or - if they lead to anything illegal, tell the Internet Watch Foundation
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Also - have you downloaded and installed any video codecs lately, at the request of a website

if so you could have a trojan

http://www.macworld.com/article/6082...ojanhorse.html
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalil View Post
Hi People,

I am using Leopard OS on a Mac Book Pro. In the past few days when I try to open some websites or pages in Safari or Fire Fox. The pages don't open, but instead another page opens with advertisements and it has the same name and address as the page I was trying to open.

I tried everything, reseting the browsers deleting all the cookies, but it won't work.

Thank you
The guys first post and a textbook description of a windows shell hijacker. Come on guys his is clearly a troll trying o generate security concerns.
QUOTE Thanks
kalil

Hi Everybody,

and thank you for your replies.

>it happens in both Safari and Fire Fox.

>It happens whit a many sites, it even happened with www.bbc.co.uk and the website of my college www.humber.ca, the first page opens for these sites, but its some of the other pages that won't open.

>Safari V 3.0.4 (5523.10)
>The security tab in Safari's preferences: all 4 of the web contents are checked.
>Cookies from site that I navigate.

>on the ad pages that I get, when I opened its frame and images in a new window they were linked to this website,
http://sedoparking.com

>and for that guy who called me a troll: Buzz Off!

now I am going to update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 let see what that could do.

thank you all

bye
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Also - have you downloaded and installed any video codecs lately, at the request of a website

if so you could have a trojan

http://www.macworld.com/article/6082...ojanhorse.html
It sounds like it - I wonder if he actually read your post...?

And could we change the thread title please, to something less inflammatory?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
kalil

Hi,

I haven't instal any video codec lately,

I tried everything and I tried all those commands in terminal, it still happens.

If I restart and go to those pages right away, they are fine but after a while they are not.

and almost every site with .asia are directed to these ad pages.

I updated to 10.5.2 and safari 3.1. Didn't help.

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
kalil

Hi People,

I installed VirusBarrier X5 and scanned every single file, but it couldn't find any thing.

The problem is still there and more and more websites are being directed to ad pages.

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
kalil

Hi People,

I still have this problem and its really bothering me now.
DNS redirect is now effecting more and more websites.

Someone suggested that I should format and reinstall MAC OS, but I can't right now.

Are there any other ways to fix this.
VirusBarrier X5 found nothing.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

There is nothing wrong ....,go back and read the posts and Repaior Permissions or do a clean install.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free Folder Sync? | Dashboard Weather Widget? »