New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to back up everything without exceptions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tenp

tenp is on a distinguished road

I am new to the OSX, and I am buying Macbook Pro. Using Macbook for one year I realized that Macbook Pro will be the last bit of my happiness. Therefore, I need to know how to transfer all information to my new Macbook Pro? I read about Time Machine and as I understood it backs up all digital photos, music, movies, TV shows, and documents, but what if I have my own OSX settings? Is it possible to clone it?
Many thanks!

Macbook Pro 2.5GHZ/250HD/4GB RAM/Logitech G3/SteelPad
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

will you have both computers at the same time? if so you can just use the set up assistant to transfer all your files and preferences from your old computer.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

as PBG4 says migrataion assistant will do everything

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25773
QUOTE Thanks
tenp

tenp is on a distinguished road

The problem I won't have two machines at the same time. Should I make back up using Time Machine transferring all data to USB Drive, and then using Migration Assistant restore system image?

Macbook Pro 2.5GHZ/250HD/4GB RAM/Logitech G3/SteelPad
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I gather you have an external hard drive ? Use the latest SuperDuper! version. Just google the name, download and use it : it's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

I've read there are problems with Time Machine and it isn't a real backup solution. When I finally upgrade to Leopard, I've decided I won't be using Time Machine at all and will keep on using Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! app.
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I gather you have an external hard drive ? Use the latest SuperDuper! version. Just google the name, download and use it : it's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

I've read there are problems with Time Machine and it isn't a real backup solution. When I finally upgrade to Leopard, I've decided I won't be using Time Machine at all and will keep on using Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! app.
I was using memeo for a while until it started not backing up all the time,stating that the back up drive has failed.I choose not to use the time machine because it does not back up the way a back up program is supposed to . So i will try the superduper as machheadcase has always given some good advice!Especially to me when i had a problematic Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post

MHC,

SuperDuper IS super duper. I used Time Machine for the last time and decided to pay the low price of $27.95 for SuperDuper yesterday. It really opens up what you can do.

I used Time Machine on Saturday night to back up my 51 GB of files and it couldn't do it in 10 hours. I used SuperDuper right after that and it did it in 1 hour and 16 minutes, and the back-up is bootable!! Super duper!!

Go for it and don't wait until their price goes up...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Ahh good on you Noels. SuperDuper is a great program and you will be pleased with the Smart Backup option.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac | Entourage & DST »