New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari or Firefox??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewMacUser5

NewMacUser5 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive

Which one is a better browser for Panther?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I'd say Firefox in this case. Cause I dont' think Safari 3 is there for Panther. And Safari 3 is where the scales were tilted from firefox to Safari. IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
btdickey

btdickey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd

I agree, in this case Firefox. In newer versions of Mac OSX, I believe Safari actually runs faster than Firefox, but Firefox tends to be more secure. However I believe this will all change with Firefox 3.0, faster and better security.

iMac...therefore iAm
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

^^ Haven't you heard that the latest version of Webkit just rock? Plus, they score 90 on Acid3 test so really compatible.

And what's this about security? The only thing I would say is there is no anti phishing filter for Safari. I hope that is cleared out soon.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

It depends on the type of user you are, too. I'm a web developer and power user. I prefer Firefox. Safari is just not enough anything for my uses (both professional and recreational).
To me, it's kind of like the difference between an iMac and a Mac Pro. Just to show I am not biased, I use two iMacs - it's enough everything for my uses.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
btdickey

btdickey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
^^ Haven't you heard that the latest version of Webkit just rock? Plus, they score 90 on Acid3 test so really compatible.

And what's this about security? The only thing I would say is there is no anti phishing filter for Safari. I hope that is cleared out soon.
I think we're coming from the same page, the Acid3 testing.

This is the page I was referring to as for the speed... http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/

This was a change from when I referenced this page last.

I guess my previous comment was just from personal experience, I have always trusted Firefox over Safari, while now it seems like they are in a neck/neck race for top browser. I have heard that Firefox 3 still has a lot of work to do before final build, it should be good.

iMac...therefore iAm
QUOTE Thanks
blah

blah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt****ey View Post
I guess my previous comment was just from personal experience, I have always trusted Firefox over Safari, while now it seems like they are in a neck/neck race for top browser. I have heard that Firefox 3 still has a lot of work to do before final build, it should be good.
I agree. I will always trust an open source software project over one produced by an American company.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
I agree. I will always trust an open source software project over one produced by an American company.
Yeah, those American companies are real shady:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla, creator of Firefox
Our main offices are located in Mountain View, California. Please address mail to:
Mozilla Foundation
1981 Landings Drive
Building K
Mountain View, CA 94043-0801
USA

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Quote:
Or so you think. While I agree on the Mac firefox uses the systemwide keychain, on Windows I had to change all my passwords cause of this crappy work.
QUOTE Thanks
blah

blah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Yeah, those American companies are real shady:

It's not so much an issue of shady companies as it is the power the American government has over these companies. The illegal wire tap issue that has been unfolding over the last year is something I find rather unnerving.

Yes, the Mozilla project is located in the U.S. and thus subject to American law, but the fact that it is open source leads me to believe it is somewhat more secure since it is open to peer review.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
It's not so much an issue of shady companies as it is the power the American government has over these companies. The illegal wire tap issue that has been unfolding over the last year is something I find rather unnerving.

Yes, the Mozilla project is located in the U.S. and thus subject to American law, but the fact that it is open source leads me to believe it is somewhat more secure since it is open to peer review.
Do you have any idea how weak government is here? The reason it has to spy on everyone is because it has so little power...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why Are Office 2008 Apps Slow to Open | toast postgap »