New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

CPU whine when playing games - MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matari

Matari will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: OSX 10.5.3 Mac Book Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

Hi all

I am currently playing a game called TubeTwist and it takes up nearly all the cpu% and producing a horrible whining noise. Is there anyway I can stop this happening?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi Matari.

I've played TubeTwist and it has been around for a little while. I think the problem could be because it is a PowerPC-only version and it needs to run under Rosetta, the built-in PowerPC to Intel translation tool in OS X...

Can you try to contact the developers to see if they have a Universal Binary version coming up soon ? I remember they used to have a user forum where you could submit problems during gameplay.
QUOTE Thanks
Matari

Hi MacHeadCase

Yes, it does run under Rosetta - I will email the developers as you suggest.

Thank you

Matari
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

And if you want to ask your question in the user forum, here's the link, although it seems to be dead, no new posts for a year but try it anyway.

Keep in mind that the forum is for Windoze users and OS X users alike. DCalabrese, I think, was the head developer but am not sure.

Good luck in getting a response.
QUOTE Thanks
Matari

Hi

Just to update - I emailed the makers of Tubetwist asking if they were planning a Universal Binary version and received this reply:

We have no plans for a Universal Binary version, however since you are running a Macbook Pro, you can install Windows XP and dual-boot into it to run the Windows version of the game.

As you can imagine I am not best pleased - I boot up into windows as little as possible, so have requested a refund again...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Jeez ! That's unfortunate, Matari. One day, when the market share is strong enough, game developers will take the Mac seriously.

Going on a tangent here... I hope His Steveness creates incentives for game developers to develop games for the Mac : it's not like the hardware can't handle them. If only game developers coded in cross-platform instead of using DirectX and then porting to the Mac, gameplay would be much improved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AOE II + StarCraft trouble | Problem Connecting to Scanner »