New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

WoW screen issues with 8800GT

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

camnewyork

camnewyork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram

I posted this in the World of Warcraft Mac support section but as of yet I have not received ant useful feedback.....

I have a Mac Pro (2008) with a single 2.8 GHZ processor, 4 GB ram and an 8800GT video card. When I setup the computer last week I made sure to down load the latest software for OS X and I got the graphics update also.

I then loaded World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade, applied all the patches and started it up. The Video settings it gave me were mostly maxed out.

I have since been fiddling with the computer (mostly the mouse) trying to get a good gaming feel. I finally got a mouse I like (Logitech LX7) and started really getting back into playing.

I now notice and issue I have with graphics while playing. From time to time I will get a horizontal slice in screen about 1/3rd of the way down from the top. It is like the screen is refreshing a a different rate or there is a pause in the refresh. It goes away as fast as it happens. It also seems to only happen when I am turning (have not noticed it when I am just moving in a straight line). Also, I can't tell if it is happening when I turn with the left or right arrows on the keyboard but it seems like it is not. That may be a result of the turn being much faster the other method of turning which is the right mouse button.

Anyway... It is hard to find a pattern to it.. The best I have at the moment is it will slice the screen for a split second as it draws the image, it does not happen all the time and I have yet to find a WoW video setting that will get rid of it.

Has anyone seen this in WoW that might have a "just change setting X to Y" kind of solution?

Thanks

Carl

Mac Pro (2008) quad core 2.8, 4 GB ram, 20 inch WS Sceptre Naga monitor
QUOTE Thanks
camnewyork

Well, I have been poking around I found that it is called a tearing effect. It seems to be caused by FPS being more than the refresh rate of the monitor. I guess this confuses me.... why doesn't everyone who gets high FPS have a tearing issue? I was told to turn on vsync in WoW video settings and that this would cap me at 60 FPS (since my monitor is a refresh rate of 60).... 60 FPS is nothing to sneeze at but I am jealous of the people getting 200 and not experiencing tearing....

Oh well... I'll try the vsync tonight and see if my problem goes away.

Carl

QUOTE Thanks
camnewyork

For anyone reading this with similar issues....

I did have a slight screen tearing issue. The Vsync ON setting fixed the problem an capped my FPS to my refresh rate (60FPS). I could not see any difference between 60FPS and the 200 I was getting in HFP so I am happy with the fix.

On the plus side... since I am almost always getting 60FPS now, I can turn off the stats and save some screen space.

Carl

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop Elements | iTunes stuck on "Determining Gapless Playback" »