New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

DVD Ripping - What are you allowed to discuss?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_invader64 View Post
This forum is run by the RIAA?
Yes...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
TopDog

TopDog has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook / Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
My solution is to just go out and buy DVDs from shops and online stores instead of stealing them.
It does not necessarily have anything to do with stealing...

If you have lots of DVD's (especially TV-series) and a huge hard drive connected to your TV (like I have), ripping the DVD's can serve both as a backup of your legally bought media, a better way of accessing your legally bought media, and as a great way of reducing junk in your living room (by storing the physical media in the attic or basement).

According to Norwegian law I'm allowed to make personal copies of artwork (such as music and film) as long as I don't distribute them to others, but of course I respect that this forum wants to follow US law.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Under US copyright law, you have no right to even backup unencrypted video. Devilboy seems to be the expert on this so I'm sure he can come along and share.

Therefore, in the US, there is no "right" to make backups. I'm not saying we agree with that stance, but it is the law.

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Under US copyright law, you have no right to even backup unencrypted video. Devilboy seems to be the expert on this so I'm sure he can come along and share.

Therefore, in the US, there is no "right" to make backups. I'm not saying we agree with that stance, but it is the law.
That's certainly always been my understanding of it. Many people claim the "right to backup" their DVDs, but I'm not aware of it being any more legal than distributing copies.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
This is true. I am not saying that I agree with it either, but the copyright laws of the U.S. do not allow for any backing up or copying (with the intent of indefinite storage) of copyrighted broadcast video/motion picture material of any kind.

For the laws regarding copyright in the U.S., you can check out the U.S. Copyright Office's web page here:

http://www.copyright.gov/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

It is generally against the law to circumvent DVD Protection and NOT to copy contents.

Therefore I believe that if you made a bit for bit exact copy (including the DVD Protection) you would NOT be Breaking any laws....

This was discussed by Tom Merrit in a Buzz Out Loud podcast...
Therefore I would assume that this is also the case in USA...

So, are we allowed to talk about how to make a bit for bit copy.....
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanBoy View Post
It is generally against the law to circumvent DVD Protection and NOT to copy contents.

Therefore I believe that if you made a bit for bit exact copy (including the DVD Protection) you would NOT be Breaking any laws....

This was discussed by Tom Merrit in a Buzz Out Loud podcast...
Therefore I would assume that this is also the case in USA...

So, are we allowed to talk about how to make a bit for bit copy.....
Actually yes, it would still be against the law. US Copyright Law and Fair Use only cover audio, you are not allowed to make copies of video (that's why every video has that FBI warning). Devilboy is the expert on this part, but I wanted to make sure that it was clear.

QUOTE Thanks
cgsouthern

cgsouthern is an unknown at this point

Then why are DVR's like from satellite and cable companies legal in the US if you are not suppost to record TV shows, and movies off of showtime, hbo, etc; or is there some sort of admendment to the law about those devices?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsouthern View Post
Then why are DVR's like from satellite and cable companies legal in the US if you are not suppost to record TV shows, and movies off of showtime, hbo, etc; or is there some sort of admendment to the law about those devices?
Yes, they are referred to as "Time Shifting Devices". In other words, you are allowed to record a broadcast for the sole purpose of viewing it at a later, more convenient time (hence the "time shifting" name).
You are not legally allowed to retain those recordings indefinitely.

Any questions on this can be answered by visiting the U.S. Copyright Office's website at: www.copyright.gov

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_invader64 View Post
This forum is run by the RIAA?
Im not here to jump down your throat like some people have done.You never know who is running a forum, unless you live near that person and are friends or family.
There are several different authority figures that join forums on a daily basis.I can name off about 15 people that i personally referred to this site that are judges and police officers.Are they here to monitor this site?No they are here to seek knowledge about apple products.Would they let comments about what another member said when it came to burning illegal software,dvd's or anything of that spectrum?Depends on how they want to handle the situation(As i have been told that most of the time its a person that is just trying to learn how to do or just has learned how to do illegal burning of various products).They really look for the ones that like to "Big Ball" as i am told.Giving specific details on how to copy OS systems and major software and popular(But expensive)Games.

So for you asking is there any type of specific organization running the forum was probably a legitimate question.Who knows what is being ran, watched or even created by who on the internet anymore?
Like i said...Unless you know that person in the flesh....
Then they could be any sort of Government official.
And thats not a wild shot in the air,Thats the reality of the real world.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibookmobile007 View Post
So for you asking is there any type of specific organization running the forum was probably a legitimate question.Who knows what is being ran, watched or even created by who on the internet anymore?
Like i said...Unless you know that person in the flesh....
Then they could be any sort of Government official.
And thats not a wild shot in the air,Thats the reality of the real world.
Actually, it's no secret about who is running/owning the board. The information is in the footer of every page at Mac-Forums.

QUOTE Thanks
lancer674

lancer674 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I am very curious about this subject, what's legal, what isn't. I have never been into ripping, etc. I'm pretty boring when it comes to this stuff. I have Netflix, buy a few Blu-ray disks here and there, listen to music on the radio to and from work. Have to work hard to get a few songs on my Nano so my wife can take it work with her because I don't use it.

So, if we have established that I can't even legally copy my own purchased DVD's for backups, here's my question. I have a Playstation 3, and I have noticed that sony has produced a DVR for it to be released first in Europe. This particular DVR records anything, DRM-free MPEG-2 and allows for transfer of media to other devices. I would think this would be illegal, but...

"We've talked to our legal department about it," said Bunting. "All we're doing is moving it out of PlayTV and to the cross-media bar as if it was any other recording. So hopefully users won't do stuff they shouldn't do with it.
"If I'm prohibited from getting the recording off and storing it somewhere else because some other dude is making money out of selling it, then I'd rather they brought the law in to catch those people," he added.

Now, this could all get scrapped, but they sure seem to think it's legal, and of course, Sony USA is looking into the possibility. What possible loop-hole could they have found to do such things?
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Yes, they are referred to as "Time Shifting Devices". In other words, you are allowed to record a broadcast for the sole purpose of viewing it at a later, more convenient time (hence the "time shifting" name).
You are not legally allowed to retain those recordings indefinitely.
The law is the law, and I'm not challenging it, but, technically, if you never finished watching a recorded broadcast, would it them be legal to retain until you've finished watching it?

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

CD ripping is still illegal here in the UK - although that may change soon.
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Sorry to post to this thread so late...

As a holder of a BA in journalism who had to pass a fairly grueling media law course...to answer the question as to why it's okay to have a DVR: you are allowed to make recordings of broadcasts. HOWEVER -- and here's the part that nobody seems to know -- you're only legally allowed to have that copy for 30 days. Even the TiVo folks don't know that, as there's an option to keep the recordings "until I delete"!

BTW -- just telling the facts. I'm not saying I agree with the laws (i.e. you can't make backups for what you buy even though it's for your own use, etc.), but that's what the law is. Also makes me wonder if discussing speeding, jaywalking, etc., are also forbidden since those are illegal activities as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« October 2008 Member of the Month Nominations | November 2008 Member of the Month (MOTM) Nominations »