New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

Reputation System Tweaks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Tweaks have been made to the reputation system. Level counts, amount of rep awarded, and rep spread have all been adjusted.

Just a reminder, asking for rep, in a post or in your sig is prohibited by our forum rules.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Not that its any of my business but may I ask why?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well, it is super annoying.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
well, it is super annoying.
I was refering to the tweaks.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Because the begging for rep was getting rather annoying and the rep pimping in sigs were also getting annoying.

There were also a few people who were clearly pumping up each others rep points. This needed to be rectified.

All in all, the changes were made to better balance the system

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i think you removed something from either this post or the other similar one in the rep system question. can't remember exaclty what it said, but something to the effect of the system being designed to help denote those who really help others within the community.

i definitely have given and recieved rep for things other than just helping. i'm also not sure if i'm one of the people at which you directed the "pumping" comment.
let me offer a counterpoint to only repping for help. as you've probably seen, i'm a huge supporter of, and believer in, the community that makes a place like this thrive. often i'll rep others for insightful comments, or really good jokes, or great web finds. things that are not necessarily simple mac related q+a. but these things do keep a large number of people comming back, and keep them in good spirits while they're here.
it's one thing, along with the tight moderation (which i enjoy) that makes this the place that it is. it makes me proud to be an active member, even more proud to have been a MotM, and it makes me enjoy directing other people here from places like other non-mac related forums and facebook and such.

if a little rep for non-help related material is part of the cost for this community, i'd serioulsy consider this before either smacking wrists or removing the system.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Well said Eric.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
eric

thank you Stretch.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Eric, if you actually read my comments throughout the history of the rep system, you'll find I completely agree with you. Rep is meant for both helpful people and building community or the opposite thereof. So before you try to defend a position, be sure to understand the opponent. In this case, you don't have one.

The rep pumpers I was speaking of in particular were specifically trading rep points for the purpose of raising their count. It was in their comments they were leaving to each other. This was not simply awarding rep for good posts, this was purposely using the system to increase rep.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

alrighty then. just wanted to be sure.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I'm with eric on that too. I rep for help, things that I didn't know that I learned from someone but also for other stuff like funny jokes or cool posts.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I'm with eric on that too. I rep for help, things that I didn't know that I learned from someone but also for other stuff like funny jokes or cool posts.
Me too - for a minute there, I thought I was doing something wrong. Glad to hear we're ALL on the same page.

Still think the rep system is absolutely outstanding and distinctive. I've still yet to see another forum that has something similar - and can think of more than a few off the top of my head that could use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

I think the rep system works really well here. I've seen another forum where the whole rep system was eliminated because of abuse. In that forum a brand new member's rep could go sky high their first day.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Because the begging for rep was getting rather annoying and the rep pimping in sigs were also getting annoying.

There were also a few people who were clearly pumping up each others rep points. This needed to be rectified.

All in all, the changes were made to better balance the system
Just to make it clear for all, is it against the forum rules to say in your sig to use the Rep system? I know begging, asking for, Etc is against the rules and just plain wrong. Just want to be sure on that one point since many have that in their sigs.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

good point for clarification dtravis.

i'm guessing my current one would be acceptable too.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Congratulations MacHeadCase! | iNet Open House »