Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   News and Community Announcements (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/)
-   -   Read this thread - Forum database issues (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/309498-read-thread-forum-database-issues.html)

bobtomay 03-15-2014 11:02 PM

Read this thread - Forum database issues

Keep checking here for updates.

Earlier today the was a database corruption which lost thousands of posts. The forum was restored to an earlier point in the day - which effectively lost all the posts between the time of the last backup and the time of the restore - roughly 12 hours.

At this time - there is still a problem - "Replies" in existing threads are not registering and the time stamp for new posts created in existing threads are not being updated.

Which means, until this issue is taken care of - you'll not see a recognition of new posts in this thread either...

So, keep checking in here for any news.

dtravis7 03-15-2014 11:15 PM

Thank You Tom for posting this.

pigoo3 03-15-2014 11:23 PM

Thanks Tom.

- Nick

chscag 03-15-2014 11:31 PM

Thanks Tom. Let's hope they get it straightened out before long.

XJ-linux 03-15-2014 11:49 PM

Restoring databases is always a fun rabbit hole to go down. Best wishes to those working out the kinks. Not sure what your restore method is, but I'm sure it will work out eventually.

bobtomay 03-16-2014 08:16 AM

Sent another email off.

My 2 previous posts this morning did indeed update the Replies & Last Post inside the forum and updated the 'Today's Posts' link - but I still see no updating for anyone else's posts.

They also returned a database error, but the replies posted twice.

Also, seeing a random issue of only being able to access the 1st page of a multi-page thread.

If you're seeing other issues, let me know so I can pass it along.

Appreciate everyone's continued patience.

We'll see if this one updates...

edit: it did not update and posted twice.

iNet: Here is the database error:

Code:

Database error in vBulletin 3.8.7:

Invalid SQL:

INSERT INTO postlog
                                (postid, useragent, ip, dateline)
                                VALUES
                                (1572434, 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_2) AppleWebKit/537.74.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.2 Safari/537.74.9', 1182457143, 1394972169);

MySQL Error  : Duplicate entry '1572434' for key 'PRIMARY'
Error Number  : 1062
Request Date  : Sunday, March 16th 2014 @ 08:16:09 AM
Error Date    : Sunday, March 16th 2014 @ 08:16:09 AM
Script        : http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...reply&t=309498
Referrer      : http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...se-issues.html
IP Address    : xx.xxx.xx.x
Username      : bobtomay
Classname    : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.5.35-33.0-log

bobtomay 03-16-2014 08:27 AM

Well, it did update - several minutes later.

And no error on this reply and only a single post.

TattooedMac 03-16-2014 08:29 AM

Thanks Tom, I felt something amiss, as it felt empty today in here, with no updates, or in my CP.

Will keep a eye on your updates. Bookmarked incase its not working properly

bobtomay 03-16-2014 08:33 AM

TM, are you seeing your posts update?

I'm seeing my posts update the 'Todays Posts' link - but yours are not.

edit:
Apparently, it's just taking a few minutes - now I can see your post has updated, but mine is not showing.

dtravis7 03-16-2014 08:54 AM

Tom, thanks for following through on this. This is the first time since the DB issue I got posts in New Posts!

bobtomay 03-16-2014 09:07 AM

Yeah, I haven't seen either yours or Bryan's posts update here.

vansmith 03-16-2014 09:08 AM

Now for the technical (as best I can): each post is stored in a row in a database (think of a row in an Excel or Numbers document). Each row has multiple columns that need to be filled in with values. In the post by bobtomay, this includes a post id, a user agent string, an ip, and a date (this goes for all people but I'll use his post with the error as an example). One of these columns has to have a value that no other row has which, according to the error, is the post id column. This makes sense - people can have the same IP, user agent and can post at exactly the same time but each post is unique so each row will have a unique post id. This is why the post id is a 'primary key.'

The error is quite simple: it's effectively saying that the post id for bobtomay's post is the same as another in the database. In other words, his post id is the same as someone else's. This throws an error since his post id has to be unique (otherwise, his post would overwrite someone else's).

Think of it this way - people in a country can share a birthday, a name, an address, etc. but no two people can share something like a passport number. In this error, bobtomay's post is sent to the database with the same "passport number" as someone else which throws an error.

In case anyone wanted to know.

RavingMac 03-16-2014 09:28 AM

I am seeing new posts now

RavingMac 03-16-2014 09:30 AM

This posted . . . though I immediately got the 'Database Error' page. So, obviously still having problems.

XJ-linux 03-16-2014 11:16 AM

Oddly enough, when I go to "Control Panel" > "List Subscriptions" link, I only see two subscriptions for threads that were started on the 14th. I should normally have about 800+ subscribed threads. Just an FYI in case it is systemic and not just me.