New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

OS X Mountain Lion: The Mac-Forums Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Preamble

Welcome to OS X 10.8, the ninth iteration in Apple's OS X operating system line. Codenamed "Mountain Lion", OS X 10.8 continues the convergence of OS X and Apple's mobile operating system iOS. In this guide, we'll take a look at what this means for you, how to get started and some tips for making this a successful upgrade! More specifically, we'll cover the up-to-date program for those of you who have b... ... Return to article to continue reading.
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air

Thanks for the detailed info, think I'll upgrade both computers tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I remember with Lion I created a flash drive installer a few weeks after I upgraded. Something about going back into the Mac App Store and holding Ctrl+ clicking on the installed app. Something like that. Just wondering if that's still a method with ML since the article only mentions doing it as you download the initial install and I'd rather wait to do it later seeing as I don't have a 8GB flash drive on hand at the moment.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have the ML app bundle, you should be able to create a bootable piece of media. When you do it is irrelevant - we just assumed that people would do it when they first got it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

great one, like the way it is presented,
Yet waiting for the up to date program to smile on me. Waited 3 1/2 days first code came without any result saying duplicate or invalid. I have a 3 weeks or so to go, for the code.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Ok good. I didn't think ML would be any different than Lion but just had to check.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Thanks for a very detailed Mountain Lion guide.
After downloading I created a bootable DVD and USB Flashdrive. I saved the install.dmg to a dedicated folder as I did with the Lion install.dmg.
Out of curiosity I created another bootable USB Flashdrive from the saved installer - no problems. So as long as you save a copy somewhere you can create the bootable media at a later date.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

trying to create install disk on SDHC card and usb drive with 8gb, at the end of the run, there is a message ' restore failure'. when looking at the end product there are 4 icons showing, how to test, if it is a successfully made copy ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You could try booting from it. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for there could be corrupted files that will preclude you from installing but won't stop you from booting. My advice: if it said it failed, it's probably doing so for a reason.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

In making ML installer, why should I go through disk utility to burn it on DVD? Why not just right-click InstallESD.dmg file then choose burn to DVD? Is that OK?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

will not burn DVD, will tell you not enough space, the disk maker software mentioned is the one to go with.
Go with thumb drive or sd card, if you want.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
will not burn DVD, will tell you not enough space, the disk maker software mentioned is the one to go with.
Go with thumb drive or sd card, if you want.
Thank you for the quick reply. My question is, on the below instruction, what's the difference with right-click burn and disk utility burn?

QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

My experience is DVD without zip with that software will not let you go anywhere. You could get pass not enough
space to create dvd, then go with burn thru disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It might work, although I haven't tried the right click method

I would think that the right click method may burn the file onto a disk, while Disk Utility will use the disk image to burn a DVD with the imaged files on it rather than the InstallESD.dmg itself.

If you get the message there is not enough space, then you need a double layer DVD. While the image file seems to be under the 4.7 gig limit, I have never had any luck burning to a single layer DVD

Either way, the USB method is better and 8 gig usb sticks are pretty cheap

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Many many thanks for the clarifications. @ycl1688 @louishen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Member of the Month, August 2012 | New Moderator: Raz0rEdge »