New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

Exciting Updates - Mac-Forums Beta

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Shameless plug: my colour changer browser extension. That could easily be modified to be "Razorfied" .
Have to admit I haven't looked at it yet. I do almost all of my MacForums browsing either on my iPad (and I assumed your fix wouldn't impact Mobile Safari) or on my work PC (where I have no admin privileges--at all).

Does it work on the iPad?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

No problem for me reading the new design but users who have colour blindness may have trouble with all the red. The UK RNIB website has good guidance for website design to avoid such problems.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Have to admit I haven't looked at it yet. I do almost all of my MacForums browsing either on my iPad (and I assumed your fix wouldn't impact Mobile Safari) or on my work PC (where I have no admin privileges--at all).

Does it work on the iPad?
No, it's a browser extension for Safari, Chrome and Opera. You could probably install it regardless of user privileges and I'd be happy to modify one of those for you to increase the text size so you can view MF with comfort from work.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
No, it's a browser extension for Safari, Chrome and Opera. You could probably install it regardless of user privileges and I'd be happy to adapt one of those for you to increase the text size so you can view MF with comfort from work.
That would be wonderful!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Looks great .... much more modern
And better for my old eyes -_-

The arrows ( < and > ) at the bottom/top right to go to the next/previous screen should be a little more separated from the page number as my fingers are too thick to use this feature on iPad in an efficient way.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

There is much to like on here so well done everyone.

At first glance, I think font size within the post is an issue. It may help if you changed the colour of the post header to something more solid, or turn down the brightness of the background because the contrast ratios don't seem right.

The eye is also drawn to a straight line and I'm finding it difficult to assimilate.

Here is an interesting paper to go all techie...paras 4 and 5 on the first page.

http://www.pnas.org/content/82/17/5983.full.pdf

Apart from that it's great.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Looking good

As others have said, I would like to see and easy link to new threads

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
No problem for me reading the new design but users who have colour blindness may have trouble with all the red. The UK RNIB website has good guidance for website design to avoid such problems.
I'm colorblind, red/green. And red is actually my favorite color. I can't speak for the other colorblind users on Mac-forums, but I don't struggle with the colors for the redesign. The color choices are really nice.

But I do at times find sites who have no regard for colorblind users. I do find myself having to highlight text in websites every now and then.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I may be the odd man out on this, but I'll be brutally honest here and say I don't like it. The font is too... I dunno... squarish? Easy to read and sharper than what is in use now, so that is a plus at least. Actually I guess it's the same font, but a tad smaller and fully black rather than grayish? In any event, there's just too much of it everywhere. Or maybe I'm just distracted by it because there's so little in the way of color and graphical elements.

The logo... while updating it is certainly in order, the fonts used are very much boring. That may be the single worst change here.

The red-colored rows that indicate the section title, post count, etc, are perhaps a little too tall in relationship to the font size. Actually the fonts in those red bars seem inconsistent. At the very top, where it says Home, Forums, Articles, etc... that doesn't look too bad for the size. But below, it's either a different font or a smaller one, not sure which, and the letters look a bit too much mashed together.

Speaking of red... there's too much red. Perhaps the forum categories could be changed to a blue color... to match the > icons to the right of each. That would help offset the colors a bit. Or better yet... same color blue as the category titles (General Discussions, e.g.).

Compare the header for this post from the old and new site:

What scratches an iPhone 4s glass?

http://stage.mac-forums.com/forums/i...ml#post1327708

On the new site, the background that was red and clearly differentiates one post from the next now is a rather like gray that sorta floats there. I do like the whole "shadow box" look for each post, but I think making the header graphic more solid would help break up what on first glance looks like, I dunno, a bunch of text floating on white background. It looks somewhat surreal, perhaps? Sorry... not sure how better to describe what I'm thinking here. Maybe pin striping just inside the border of each post would look good?

Anywho... those are my initial thoughts.

EDIT: What looks really good is up top... the stylized bar where the name/password fields are. That rocks. In fact, I think using that style, with the light gray background and white pinstripe border on top of the shadow should be implemented more throughout the forum, like for each posting to address the concerns I had. This would add more color (even if it is gray) and some graphical nicety to the whole look here, and some more consistency.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

I am happy with the forum the way it is. Easy to read, easy to find everything. Everything familiar and where it should be. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old.

AWAITING A GOLD iPHONE 6 128GB // MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb SOLD // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb SOLD // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb //
QUOTE Thanks
AKlove

AKlove is on a distinguished road

The first thing that jumped out at me was the logo, I don't like it.
The old one has a glow about it, the new one makes me feel like I'm in a hardware store forum, for some reason.
And maybe the red is a little thick and heavy for me.
I quite like it the way it is actually, but then I'm not a big fan of change unless it is a huge and significant one that vastly and obviously improves things.

I do like the little touch that makes the individual sections on the page look slightly lifted above the background. Looks great that way.
QUOTE Thanks
SaucerBoy

SaucerBoy is on a distinguished road

I don't know exactly how it would look, but if you could make the profile bar in the top right scroll along with the page it might be neat. I don't know if it would be necessary, but worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I'm going to chime in but with a different issue from aesthetics. At least for now anyway... This has more to do with functionality. I feel like the order in which the fora are laid out, needs a bit of revision.

I kind of understand having the "switcher" forums near the top, but the rest of it makes less sense to me. The way I'd reorder the forum structure would be something like:

Community
General
Hardware
OS X Software
iPhone, iPad, iPod
Dev Playground

I realize this may seem like nitpicking at first, but the logic behind this applies to when you think about posting a new topic. And in my experience, I'm more likely to want or need to post a new topic in hardware, Software or iOS before the others.

Opinions?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I'm going to chime in but with a different issue from aesthetics. At least for now anyway... This has more to do with functionality. I feel like the order in which the fora are laid out, needs a bit of revision.

I kind of understand having the "switcher" forums near the top, but the rest of it makes less sense to me. The way I'd reorder the forum structure would be something like:

Community
General
Hardware
OS X Software
iPhone, iPad, iPod
Dev Playground

I realize this may seem like nitpicking at first, but the logic behind this applies to when you think about posting a new topic. And in my experience, I'm more likely to want or need to post a new topic in hardware, Software or iOS before the others.

Opinions?

Doug
I agree - and that's something we can change pretty easily, given consensus amongst the staff.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

How about setting up the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum as invisible until a member meets the criteria? Is this feasible or desirable?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Member of the Month, January 2012 | Looking for bloggers! »