Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   News and Community Announcements (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/)
-   -   Spammer attack via PM and Profile page (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/227281-spammer-attack-via-pm-profile-page.html)

bobtomay 01-23-2011 07:44 AM

Spammer attack via PM and Profile page

Just a heads up here as we seem to be getting more of these type spammers.

Instead of posting in the forum, they send their junk out via PM or post a Visitors message on a Profile page.

If you receive one of these PMs, let us know. We are more than happy to attempt stopping them dead in their tracks.

Kevriano 01-23-2011 10:00 AM

Thanks. Not seen one yet thankfully, but will let you know.

TattooedMac 01-23-2011 01:38 PM

What are they hoping that bc its in private that they wont be dobbed in . . . . . . . Good luck Mods. Looks like you have your work cut out for you :(

iggibar 01-24-2011 08:19 PM

Good to know. Thankfully, I haven't gotten one yet.

nicecrew 01-30-2011 03:39 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have not encountered a visitor message or PM that had spam but I will keep a look out.
Thanks
nicecrew

Zoolook 01-30-2011 03:43 PM

I always miss out on the spam...

jamesdean 02-01-2011 06:24 PM

Yeah the new xrumer is out, it can decode recaptcha.

cwa107 02-01-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdean (Post 1179200)
Yeah the new xrumer is out, it can decode recaptcha.

Well, that explains a bit. We've been getting hit pretty hard recently, but thankfully bobtomay is far more crafty than the spammers and they get nuked before they finish registering.

We like to call him "The Spaminator".

Kevriano 03-10-2011 08:10 AM

Hmmm, I seem to have got one of these today, though it's not promoting anything, it's someone who seems to think they know me!
Will PM details.

RavingMac 03-11-2011 08:28 AM

I got this today from a member with zero posts. Spam or just excessive enthusiasm?

"Beta testers wanted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Razormac,

I contact you since it seems like you are interested in apps/games.

Electrolux is soon about to launch an iPhone application called iVac. The purpose of the application is to challenge the users in a digital cleaning experience.

We would like to invite you to participate in the development by serving as a beta tester before the application goes live.

Would you be interested to serve as a test pilot and to get first hand information? Visit The Beta Family - iPhone app beta testing , a nice service for developers who would like to test their apps before releasing them in App Store. Simply sign in and add your device, you can connect with Facebook or just open an account for free!

By serving as a beta tester, you will have the chance to win a Ergorapido vacuum cleaner.

The application will be available in just a few days!

For any questions regarding the application or trial period, send an email to:
christian@prontocommunication.se, or call: +46 8 23 01 00 and ask for Christian.

We appreciate your commitment and involvement in this project!

Best regards,
Christian

Pronto on behalf of Electrolux"

cwa107 03-11-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1200345)
I got this today from a member with zero posts. Spam or just excessive enthusiasm?

"Beta testers wanted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Razormac,

I contact you since it seems like you are interested in apps/games.

Electrolux is soon about to launch an iPhone application called iVac. The purpose of the application is to challenge the users in a digital cleaning experience.

We would like to invite you to participate in the development by serving as a beta tester before the application goes live.

Would you be interested to serve as a test pilot and to get first hand information? Visit The Beta Family - iPhone app beta testing , a nice service for developers who would like to test their apps before releasing them in App Store. Simply sign in and add your device, you can connect with Facebook or just open an account for free!

By serving as a beta tester, you will have the chance to win a Ergorapido vacuum cleaner.

The application will be available in just a few days!

For any questions regarding the application or trial period, send an email to:
christian@prontocommunication.se, or call: +46 8 23 01 00 and ask for Christian.

We appreciate your commitment and involvement in this project!

Best regards,
Christian

Pronto on behalf of Electrolux"

Username please? Definitely spam.

RavingMac 03-11-2011 08:42 AM

Hcpronto

vansmith 03-11-2011 08:43 AM

Add me to the list of people who got an "Electrolux" spam PM. Username: Hcpronto.

cwa107 03-11-2011 08:52 AM

All messages and the user are now history.

RavingMac 03-11-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1200360)
all messages and the user are now history.

+1 :)