New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

New User Reputation System

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

As a way to better reflect our purpose here we removed post count and replaced it with a User Reputation system. You'll notice now green dots under people's profiles. That's their reputation rating. The more dots, the better their reputation.

Since this is new, everyone has 10 reputation points and only one green dot. As time goes on, this will be an outstanding indicator of their helpfulness.

To vote, you'll notice that people now have another button on each post that allows you to rate them.

There are some criteria to help keep them accurate:
  • You must be here a certain length of time and have a certain number of posts before you can rate people.
  • The longer you're an active member here, the more your ratings count. The more active you are here, the more your ratings count. The higher your personal rating the more your ratings count.
  • There is a limit to how many ratings you can give in a day and how often you can rate an individual poster.
As time goes on, the system may be tweaked, but please let us know how you like it...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

I think it's kind fo cool. And better than the post count. All you need is something to represent someone's active time on these forums, and good posts. I just don't know if it will be fair, because someone might post alot of helpful things, and then someone is too lazy to click the rep button.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yea, I agree with shaun89, but I really like the idea. my only question is, is it like starting all over? cause I know people arent going to go back and click the add to rep button on all the old posts, or posts before today.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is starting now. Everything has a beginning and this is the beginning of the user reputation system. If you're just as helpful going forward, you have nothing to worry about

As for whether it's a fair system? We think it is. It's a much better measure for our type of community. In the end, with or without the visual indicator, people have a reputation. It shouldn't be a contest like post count became.

We'll never please everyone, but this comes closest to the type of community we want to create.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yea, this is perfect. I have a question though, it doesnt bother me that this is the beginning, what I wanna know is this: is that little green dot equal to 10 points as you stated above where we all start with 10 points or 1 dot, does that mean that the dot will go up every 10 votes or additions to rep, or will it go up by 1 point to 1 dot after the initial 10? also, can rep points be taken away?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

can you see who gives you ratings?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

The dots are not necessarily tied to point levels, they're more of an approximate indicator. Points can be given or taken away based on how people vote for your helpfulness or lack thereof.

And yes, you can see who voted for you, or at least the last 5 votes and their comments. You get see that by clicking the Profile link up at the top to get to your Profile and then on the top of the right hand navigation page, click "Control Panel".

Or go there directly with this link:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/usercp.php

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I think you should be able to see who voted for you, or at least the admins should, to make sure people arent voting for themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Hi Macman, I've edited my post above, you can see the last 5 votes. Also, you are not able to vote for yourself.

The other thing to remember with this is that while you can see who voted for you, you don't know how much that vote counted. Every persons vote is worth a different amount of points based on many different factors as I outlined in the first post in this thread.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

cool.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

It reminds me of the system on the old No Wonder forum. Maybe it will help people who are new to Mac-forums.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I just saw the new reputation feature, sweet! But what happens, if you click on your own "add to reputation". I'm not going to try it out, because I don't want to toot my own horn, if you know what I mean. *wink* *wink* Oh, if you think my post is great, click on my reputation link! Only kidding.

Edit: One more thing, is it okay to give reputation points for a good thread, even though the person didn't really help ya with anything?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

You may not rate your own posts. here

If you think the post was worth reading and useful to progressing the forum, rate it.. I am sure we will find bugs in it, but for now we have to find them
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

iWhat, if you click on your own post, you can't rate yourself. It will show you however how many reputation points you have currently as well as what people have rated that particular post if it's been rated so far.

And absolutely, feel free to rate a good thread. This system is for letting everyone know, not only how helpful someone is, but how much of a positive or negative impact they are on the community. Rate away on anything you feel deserves to be rated

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to slowly start to go back through the forums and give credit where it was due.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Official Member of the Month Award: October 2007 | Official Member of the Month Award: November 2007 »