New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

New Premium Memberships

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Actually the ad's don't annoy me... I'm pretty used to them.

I would happily be a premium member if I had a PayPal account... but you know, schweb, I do have a Swiss bank account, I can hook you up with some $$$.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My take on the Premium Memberships.

Do remember, you do not have to pay. Nothing will change if you do not pay. You can still use Mac Forums the way you do at present. If you do contribute you will have a few new features, but the main reason I would pay the $25 is to help out the forums. The ads really do not bug me all that much either. To me it would be helping the place that helps so many Mac users all over the world keep the lights on and make even more improvements to the forums down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Enhanced functionality and no ads, fine if you want that, but how is it going to work with "a private forum"? Where will a preium member put new posts, in the private forum since he/she is a premium member or in the community forum since more people will read it? I do not quite get that.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Well, both. It's actually a subsection of the forum, similar to "Anything Goes" or "Switcher Hangout" except it'll be for premium members.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinlondon View Post
Enhanced functionality and no ads, fine if you want that, but how is it going to work with "a private forum"? Where will a preium member put new posts, in the private forum since he/she is a premium member or in the community forum since more people will read it? I do not quite get that.
Probably mostly in the community forums. The private forum is only one, single form...a lounge more than anything, not an entirely new set of forums.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

"...but the main reason I would pay the $25 is to help out the forums."

Agree exactly. it does cost money to purchase, set up and maintain servers and web sites. There was a hue and cry over the ads when they first appeared, so Premium Membership is a way to assist in maintaining these Forums.

Use them, every day, which equates to about 50¢ per week, or 7¢ per day ~ excellent value for money. Another forum site recently needed new equipment and had to ask members for donations to stay online. This is a far better option imho.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone else tried the ad-free "skin"

i'm loading m-f pages much, much faster now.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I don't have a PayPal account, Can I simply pay by Amex or Visa ?

Cheers
McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
I don't have a PayPal account, Can I simply pay by Amex or Visa ?

Cheers
McBie
Yes you can.
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I will subscribe once have the means(I have a car payment staring me in the face).... I think a cool idea would be if you wanted to add certain features and you knew how much they would cost set up a donation goal and let the members help contribute. I think it would benefit the forums monetarily and help build a stronger community.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Actually I do agree with this. But I do not the idea of a "Premium Member Badge". Because it creates an elitist group. And everyone then will know who has contributed and who has not. People should be paying their hard earned money to help the exist in the future. Not for a few perks. But if perks are required that's ok.

In short.

1. Could create 2 user groups. Payers and non payers. Well not officially but people could think like this.

2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.

3. A payers only forum? Helps to create the point 1 scenario in my opinion.

Personally I think the perks associated with paying should be aimed at enhancing the user experience. Ie. No ads. Options to different forum skins. Larger storage capacity for the PM inbox here. And more. I can't think of any more though.

Well that's how I feel about this whole premium memberships here. And thanks for taking the effort to set something up here.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.
If you'd like to become a premium member and have your badge reflect the existing member badge instead so you're more anonymous, that's something we can probably accomodate on an individual basis.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps the badge could be just a bit more understated - to keep in line with the thought process 8thark implies...

maybe just the same design with a different color, or same color/text that simply says "premium" instead of "member".

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Hmmm.... I think it's pretty understated as it is now. If it said "Premium" or something like that, it would stand out more IMO.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree with eric.
But I think it should be member and premium member. Different colour text doesn't bother me. Cause when I first saw the M-F and the heart thing. I was like what is that?? But with Eric's idea, people would be thinking, hmm a premium member. How do I become one of those?

(and on a unrelated note, for all those on this site interested in man points. The red heart to me is very unmanly).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Member of the Month - May 2011 | New Badges and a new usergroup »