New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
News and Community Announcements Information Regarding The Mac-Forums Community

New Ad Format Coming to Mac-Forums

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Starting Wednesday, May 7, you may notice a new ad format on Mac-Forums. The new ad will appear between the first and second post in a thread. This new format will help us attract more advertisers to our site which in the end means a better site for all of you!

While we know that ads aren't always your most favorite thing about the forum, it is what helps pay for the site and they allow us to keep bringing you this outstanding community.

And remember, when you're in the market for a product, please think about clicking through to our advertisers for purchase. Not only does it help support this forum, but it also helps support many of the smaller Mac developers that advertise on this board.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

man, i gotta be honest, i hate those inter-thread ads.

i do click through from time to time on the top ad.

so, i'm guessing there's no news, or progress, on a paid membership sort of thing that would give paid members ad-less browsing?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
so, i'm guessing there's no news, or progress, on a paid membership sort of thing that would give paid members ad-less browsing?
It's definitely something we're still considering. We just need to determine logistics and try to understand whether enough true demand would be there. It's one thing for people to say they want it and another for people to actually take advantage of it once it's here.

QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

I'm all for paid subscriptions and all against intrusive ads. I'll look at Google text ads, or at ads I want to see. Most ads however I ignore. I'm tired of getting blasted by omnipresent hucksterism.

I have no problem paying my own way. I do it all the time. I've even donated money for forums that were non-profit when I didn't need to pay a zinc penny.

Intrusive ads are annoying. 'Nuf said.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I agree with Eric - I will not do business with any company that advertises that way. I am more then agreeable to paying a membership fee for the privilege of being in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

hey schweb, since i'm guessing this is happening in a couple days regardless of feedback here, will inet be able to tell where they're seeing more of their ad clicks come from? i mean can they tell if they get (for example) 5% of the ad clicks from inter-thread ads, 15% from sidebar ads on the main page, and 80% from top and bottom banner ads?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, have to agree with everyone else.

I have been trying to use Safari most of the time.
But in Opera, even those top banner ads are turned off.

Just see my response to going to the theater to watch Iron Man in relationship to ads/commercials.

And yes, I would pay a yearly fee for a no ad site.
Admittedly, I am probably a little extreme in this matter also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
hey schweb, since i'm guessing this is happening in a couple days regardless of feedback here, will inet be able to tell where they're seeing more of their ad clicks come from? i mean can they tell if they get (for example) 5% of the ad clicks from inter-thread ads, 15% from sidebar ads on the main page, and 80% from top and bottom banner ads?
Yes, it's easy to track user click behavior so I would imagine that will be taken into account. The inline ads are a test.

No one likes ads, but they're a necessary evil. If this type of ad is a failure, I'm sure we'll consider removing them.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

cool - as long as there's some possibility that vehement resistance and non-clicking may get them removed...

i think you guys should figure out how to package a t-shirt/"pro" member deal for like 20 bucks a year.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Sorry, have to agree with everyone else.

I have been trying to use Safari most of the time.
But in Opera, even those top banner ads are turned off.

Just see my response to going to the theater to watch Iron Man in relationship to ads/commercials.

And yes, I would pay a yearly fee for a no ad site.
Admittedly, I am probably a little extreme in this matter also.
I'm pretty ticked off over those theater commercials also. I actually stopped going to movies for a bit over those too. But what really gets my goat is the trailers and ads on DVDs. I pay a fair enough sum for a DVD... more than what movie tickets woulda cost me. I don't want to watch outdated movie trailers over and over. It's not quite so bad for the ones that let you zip past all the trailers with one click to the menu, but there's some that FORCE you to zip past only one at a time. Grrrrrrrr.... and they wonder why piracy is so rampant.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'm pretty ticked off over those theater commercials also. I actually stopped going to movies for a bit over those too. But what really gets my goat is the trailers and ads on DVDs. I pay a fair enough sum for a DVD... more than what movie tickets woulda cost me. I don't want to watch outdated movie trailers over and over. It's not quite so bad for the ones that let you zip past all the trailers with one click to the menu, but there's some that FORCE you to zip past only one at a time. Grrrrrrrr.... and they wonder why piracy is so rampant.
Yep, those are a drag also. But, at least there is a way to get past them without the need of leaving the room.

We almost never watch live TV anymore for the same reason. With the handy little DVR, just starting your viewing 30-40 minutes after the first show begins provides for a commercial free evening.

But, that's another thread. Think we may be guilty of hijacking this one now.

Sorry, schweb. Back to main menu.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

All I can say is.... thank goodness for "Ad Block Plus" for Firefox. It's made a world of difference for me. Hopefully it picks up these in-thread ads too.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Quote:
man, i gotta be honest, i hate those inter-thread ads.

i do click through from time to time on the top ad.

I doubt anyone would be willing to pay . Ppl already use Adblock plus so i doubt anyone would even see the ad's. And its a very bad idea to entertain paid membership coz i havent seen a mac forum like that, so this would just annoy ppl and they would switch to an another mac forum.

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I can understand the need to have ads and I can understand the reasons not to have them. I would willingly donate as Mathogre has said. If it would help make MF a better place

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Sorry, schweb. Back to main menu.
Sorry, that button's disabled.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« July 2008 MOTM Nominations | August 2008 MOTM Nominations »