New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Making a song on Garage band....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

student_mac

student_mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2GB Macbook, White

Hi guys.

Looking to buy a mac book for my final year at uni this summer. I am into writing my own music etc and i was wondering if i would be able to input my guitar, drums and bass etc into garage band to make a track?

Would logic express 8 be better. All i want to do is make some tracks and put them on myspace.

Colour means nothing to a blind man
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

Garageband should be fine for your purposes. You will need some sort of digital audio interface to plug in via USB or preferably firewire. Just plugging in to the mic jack on the computer probably won't cut it.
There are plenty of software instruments, effects, and loops in Garageband that sound pretty decent.
QUOTE Thanks
student_mac

student_mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2GB Macbook, White

digital audio interface? whats that?

Colour means nothing to a blind man
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

You need something to get sound from your instrument/microphone to the computer. This can be done a few different ways. Some are better than others.
Some microphones will allow you to plug straight into the microphone slot on your computer.... This does not produce very good sound quality though and will not work with some instruments.

If you want good quality then you need something that does a good job of getting sound to your computer. The cheapest product that has really good quality is the Mackie Onyx Satellite. Do a google search and you should find many sites selling them. If you look hard you can find it for as low as $170. (The one I use is $1600 so 170 isn't bad) It is firewire which is ideal.
They have been discontinued but it seems there are plenty around still.

I'm sure others will have opinions on Dig Aud Interfaces... Hopefully they will chime in!
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

look here.... google shopping
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to import Dvd instruction media into my iPod? | need someone with knowledge of final cut pro. »