New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Setting up iMac for live music and MIDI

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

I recently switched from PC to iMac and realized I can no longer attach my live instruments (mic, keyboard, guitar).

My PC has a third party audio card that has several jack inputs and MIDI in/out but the iMac has only one small jack audio input and a few USB ports.

My setup is: keyboard, guitar, and microphone all go into a mixer. The mixer's out is two large jacks, stereo, this is what normally connects to the computer. Also, my keyboard has a MIDI cable.

All I can think of to do is get a twin large jack to one small jack converter for audio input and then get a MIDI to USB converter for MIDI.

Is this the solution? Anyone have a better suggestion?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Well my live setup consists of an MOTU Ultralite, which is the ULTIMATE portable interface. You might want to check out M-Audio's line of USB and Firewire external devices (Firewire 410 or Firewire Audiophile).

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

My PC's audio card is M-Audio. The same as the Audiophile 192 but an older model.

I don't want to spend too much money but thanks for the tip.

EDIT: That MOTU Ultralite is sweet! Maybe I don't need to pay my mortgage this month :0
QUOTE Thanks
MegaRoss

MegaRoss has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I use a firepod, brilliant bit of kit.

Man of much music.
QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Rimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
MOTU Ultralite, which is the ULTIMATE portable interface.
Your forgetting the Fireface 400 which is simply better in almost every way compared to the Ultralite..

Rimmer
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
Your forgetting the Fireface 400 which is simply better in almost every way versus to the Ultralite..

Rimmer
Uh oh, another interface war! I looked at the Fireface 400, it is also an amazing card, but out of my price range and had features that I didn't need. I choose the MOTU because a TON of laptop DJ's and producers use it and love it.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Quote:
Uh oh, another interface war! I looked at the Fireface 400, it is also an amazing card, but out of my price range and had features that I didn't need. I choose the MOTU because a TON of laptop DJ's and producers use it and love it.
Sure. I wasn't really nagging atcha.. More that you made a big claim that I thought I had to pulled you up on..

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they actually work, let alone give us some time left to make some music..
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
Sure. I wasn't really nagging atcha.. More that you made a big claim that I thought I had to pulled you up on..

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they actually work, let alone give us some time left to make some music..
Yeah for real! It is hard sometimes too, getting some gearlust every once in a while!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Quote:
Yeah for real! It is hard sometimes too, getting some gearlust every once in a while!
I struggled to buy the Fireface as it was at a time I really needed it, but didn't have much cash. Amazing though, for such a small box.. Seemed pricey at the time but it really does shine.. I'm a bit of a recording enthusiast as well so I try to get the best I am likely to be able to afford.. Working pays off sometimes...

Regards, Rimmer
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

the USB to Midi cable is going to be the cheapest method -- but beware driver issues with really cheap cables. Edirol and M-Audio make them for about $40 or so that have good reputations.

For the audio in, you can get a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at any Radio Shack and plug that into the Mac's audio in, and that should work fine -- mind the input levels to prevent clipping (distortion) on the input.
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis View Post
the USB to Midi cable is going to be the cheapest method -- but beware driver issues with really cheap cables. Edirol and M-Audio make them for about $40 or so that have good reputations.

For the audio in, you can get a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at any Radio Shack and plug that into the Mac's audio in, and that should work fine -- mind the input levels to prevent clipping (distortion) on the input.
Thanks. All I need is the MIDI to USB converter (the Uno is more than $40 now). I already have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter somewhere if I can find it. No problem with the clipping, I bought a used Behringer Eurorack MX 802A mixer for $30 years ago at a music shop and it lets me adjust the gain.
QUOTE Thanks
pbrokaw

pbrokaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,2.2 dual core.120gb .1gb ram.superdrive.

I have a Roland EG-101 keyboard that I use with my setup.I was using a M-audio uno sport USB to MIDI interface.After checking out the M-audio I control at the Apple store I bought it and took the uno back to Guitar Center.The I control works great,I really like the scroll wheel for playback time adjustment.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Perry
QUOTE Thanks
cancerian80

cancerian80 is on a distinguished road

I have a Alesis io 14 firewire interface....but it doesnt work with Leopard...and right now when using in garageband....it only outputs from left channel...wouldn't recommend it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting to home computer iTunes library | aggregating audio devices »