Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Kaurotu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, IL
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    Standard Black MacBook
    iTunes Volume Issue
    I have a slight problem with iTunes at the moment. To listen to music I have a set of external speakers all connected to my audio out jack on my MacBook. Although, probably every 5 to 10 seconds in a song, the volume will go up dramatically and fall back to normal just as fast. The volume is basically changing itself. As you could tell, this gets extremely annoying.

    I turned off Sound Check and Sound Enhancer from Preferences, but it didn't fix it.

    Any ideas on what's going on?

    Thanks
    I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand

  2. #2

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,759
    Is this JUST in iTunes or any sound output from any software, like in Quicktime?

  3. #3

    Kaurotu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, IL
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    Standard Black MacBook
    So far, just iTunes.
    I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand

  4. #4

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,759
    Well my gut instinct was that you are having a hardware issue, with the speakers for example. But if it's only happening in iTunes, then that's not likely. I'm a bit stumped for an answer at the moment... perhaps someone else will have an idea?

  5. #5

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    try playing a movie or an mp3 track in the finder

    if the problems persist it might be something to do with your hardware

    I had the same problem, it was a dodgy 3.5mm jack to phono cable that was connecting the mac to my amp.

    Is it both speakers, test that out as well

  6. #6

    Kaurotu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, IL
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    Standard Black MacBook
    Quicktime does it to. It's hard to notice with movies, but music provides the worst issue.

    Perhaps it is with hardware. I've had these speakers for about 4 years so maybe it's just age. They're Dell so I'm guessing they weren't made to the best quality.

    UPDATE: I used my iPod Touch with the speakers and the same problem occurs. So I'm sure it's the speakers. Time to get new ones...
    I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand

  7. #7

    Kaurotu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, IL
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    Standard Black MacBook
    Got a new Logitech 5.1 surround system today. That did the trick. Every thing's fine now. Thanks for all the advice.
    I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2007
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaurotu View Post
    I have a slight problem with iTunes at the moment. To listen to music I have a set of external speakers all connected to my audio out jack on my MacBook. Although, probably every 5 to 10 seconds in a song, the volume will go up dramatically and fall back to normal just as fast. The volume is basically changing itself. As you could tell, this gets extremely annoying.

    I turned off Sound Check and Sound Enhancer from Preferences, but it didn't fix it.

    Any ideas on what's going on?

    Thanks
    Sounds more like an amp issue than anything. Do you have active speakers or are they ran from a separate amp??

    Rimmer

  9. #9

    Kaurotu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, IL
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    Standard Black MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Sounds more like an amp issue than anything. Do you have active speakers or are they ran from a separate amp??

    Rimmer
    I don't necessarily know what you mean by that but I just had a 5.1 system connected to my MacBook with a 3.5mm jack. They were old speakers anyway but I got some new Logitech and that fixed it.
    I need no warrant or sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and sanction. - Ayn Rand

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2007
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaurotu View Post
    I don't necessarily know what you mean by that but I just had a 5.1 system connected to my MacBook with a 3.5mm jack. They were old speakers anyway but I got some new Logitech and that fixed it.
    I meant the amp that you might have been using to driver the speakers you mentioned.

    Sorted then? Good..

    Regards. Rimmer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Safari Volume vs. iTunes Volume
    By kpdevlin in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 03:31 PM
  2. issue with volume on Quicktime
    By hcintineo in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 05:58 AM
  3. Volume issue
    By macsarecool in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
  4. Volume control issue
    By the_decoy in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 05:36 AM
  5. Volume Issue
    By Jmak89 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •