New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Making ringtones?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

icywings8

icywings8 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 8x Superdrive

Is there any way to make a ringtone on my mac and then send it via bluetooth to my Motorola Slvr?
Thanks if you can tell me how its done
~Sean, just got my macbook 2 days ago =D
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

davidgallant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone

does the slvr let you send files to it? i used to do this with my treo 650, but that is a different story. As far as editing ringtones, I would highly suggest compressing them to mp3 96kbps and putting them in mono, since the speakerphone is only one speaker. I used to take top40 songs from the radio and get a hold of the instrumental which was edited down with audacity.

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
icywings8

Yeah I can send files to it...So should I just limit the song to less than 30 seconds and have it at 96kbps with mono sound? And is audacity the best program for this? I think its free and all, but if it has a learning curve, I might not want it because I'm brand new to sound editing. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

i'd go for it. pm me when you run into problems or use my email.
to put it into mono, click on the song title on the left of the track and do split stereo track. Then you will see 2 track instead of 1. THEN put them both into mono for rendering. to change the mp3 quality when rendering, go to audacity preferences/file formats and you can choose the bit rate on the bottom. Right now my ringtone is Jay-z and talib kweli-Get By. Gotta love that nina simone

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Here's another vote for Audacity.

However, you really don't need to go through all the steps davidgallant mentioned if you just want to do it "quick and dirty." Just open up an MP3, pick the section you want as the ringtone, and then hit "Export Selection to MP3." That's it, you're done.

If you want to save space with smaller ringtone sizes, then you should go through the steps david pointed out.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

When I was setting my little brothers Sprint flip-phone, he was required to have the clip less than :35 and had some strange size limit. I just figured I would post all the steps to guarantee an mp3 ringtone and eliminate the stupid problem of troubleshooting.
So what was your choice for tone icywings?

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Oh right, forgot normal phones have weird limits like that. My last three phones have all been smartphones, so I've gotten used to the fact that I can use any size/length MP3 as a ringtone

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
icywings8

haha Thanks for all of your help guys
I think I'm gonna make a "Holy Diver" ringtone first, as that song has been stuck in my head for some reason. Then I'll make some calmer ones...maybe from The Postal Service or something. I dunno..I'll probably make a bunch and just pick my favorites. My friend made me a Breaking Benjamin one ("Breath") which I love, but I need more to chose from.
QUOTE Thanks
icywings8

Whoops i double posted somehow >_>
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Holy Diver sounds cool.
I made some Paul Gilbert samples using Audio Hijack Pro, by playing the song I wanted to sample in VLC, and hijacking it. I just recorded the sections I wanted, and then put them on a memory card in my phone.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question for mac guitarists | Recording Spoken Word - Compression & Format »