New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Reason 3 and Logic Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

Hi, Does anyone use either of these? I have reason 3 currently but constructing songs is becoming painstaking as it only supports midi keyboards and i have to map every single note. This is annoying me now, anyway i heard that logic will work with qwerty keyboards? Is logic express worth buying, i make music in my spare time and its not a full on career so id rather not spend £700 on logic pro?

Any advice for me?
QUOTE Thanks
boknows

boknows is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 single core

well that way of production is pretty slow and hampers your creativity, I would buy a midi keyboard or go with logic express. I use logic pro and it does everything i need
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

i know its slow but i dont have the room for the midi keyboard anymore so thats why i want to use the virtual one, i dont mind taking my time with it anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Can't you get a small two-octave keyboard, like the M-Audio O2?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

i could yes but it makes it all the more uncomfortabel trying to do this sitting on the couch, i dont have room anywhere for a desk so all my computing is done there, its annoying i knwo but thats what you get when house prices are as horrific as they are here!
QUOTE Thanks
Doggabone

Doggabone is on a distinguished road

This is extremely handy, either when your away from your keyboard set-up, or limited for desk space, or (as I often am) working in a mix/engineer mode with those devices set-up and want to quickly enter simple passages. I do a lot using the QWERTY keys and a little piano-roll editing in other apps. I'm new to Logic, though, and I was wondering if this was built in when I Google'd and found this thread (and forum)

Anyway, I figured this old question deserved an answer when I saw it, and I copied this from the Logic Express 8 User Manual. You can grab the PDF from http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/logicexpress/.

Quote:
Using the Caps Lock Keyboard

The Caps Lock Keyboard enables you to use the computer keyboard as a real time virtual MIDI keyboard. It can also be used for MIDI Step Input. This makes it ideal for situations where no external MIDI or USB keyboard is available, such as when travelling with your portable Macintosh computer.
The Caps Lock Keyboard spans more than ten octaves, and even includes support for sustain and velocity information.

To enable the Caps Lock Keyboard:

Press the Caps Lock key on your computer keyboard.
An illuminated Caps Lock LED indicates that it is active.
It goes without saying that many keys will have different functions, overriding their usual key command assignments, while in this mode.
This is the English version of the Caps Lock Keyboard—other language versions will appear, dependent on your Mac OS X Keyboard setting.

The Escape key sends an All Notes Off command, should you encounter hanging notes.

The numeric keys (above the QWERTY keyboard) are used to define the octave for the MIDI keyboard.

The two rows below the numeric keys function as counterparts for MIDI keyboard keys, starting with the note C, assigned to the alphabetical A key (or Q, as would be the case if using a French keyboard, for example).
Wherever you are, SlickShoes, I hope you figured this out (or that you notice there's an answer here!).

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggabone View Post
This is extremely handy, either when your away from your keyboard set-up, or limited for desk space, or (as I often am) working in a mix/engineer mode with those devices set-up and want to quickly enter simple passages. I do a lot using the QWERTY keys and a little piano-roll editing in other apps. I'm new to Logic, though, and I was wondering if this was built in when I Google'd and found this thread (and forum)

Anyway, I figured this old question deserved an answer when I saw it, and I copied this from the Logic Express 8 User Manual. You can grab the PDF from http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/logicexpress/.

Wherever you are, SlickShoes, I hope you figured this out (or that you notice there's an answer here!).

Cheers.
Thanks! i just found your reply by googling the question again and it turned up my own thread! amazing! anyway it sounds very promising, i had 6 months of the whole music thing due to money problems and not being able to afford logic, however now i can!

Im going to get logic for my macbook and use the CAPS lock keyboard seems like my best option with no desk space at all to work with a midi keyboard!

I will report back how i get on!

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Doggabone

Doggabone is on a distinguished road

Yer welcome. I was actually using this very recently - I got an e-mail from someone who I used to work with at a studio. He needed some short short musical stings - sound effects, really, they were so short. While we were swapping small files and chatting in IM, I was using the CAPS LOCK key entry to jot in three and four note passages. It was just *that* much quicker to keep the QWERTY keyboard front and center while I was writing, then chatting, and so on as I flipped through different tasks and programs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to create mp3 mixes? | Recording & editing software »