New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

converting m4a

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

indapino22

indapino22 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd

hey all, i was wondering if there was a free simple program that i can download for either mac or pc (id prefer pc) to convert m4a files to mp3,wma, and other formats. id really like a software for the my pc because i just goof around on the mac then put it on my pc to store and convert etc..and i dont want alot of apps on the mac...thank you
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

You can do it in iTunes. All you need to do is change the import format to mp3, then right-click on the song in the library and select "Convert Selection to MP3".

Oh and Bonus, its available for pc AND mac.

Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.
QUOTE Thanks
indapino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf View Post
You can do it in iTunes. All you need to do is change the import format to mp3, then right-click on the song in the library and select "Convert Selection to MP3".

Oh and Bonus, its available for pc AND mac.
ok once its converted to mp3 format, where is it on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light

If you have it set up to organize your music folder, it should be in your iTunes folder. With the mac version you can right click on the new one and select Show in Finder. I think there might be a similar option in the windows version that probably reads something along the lines of Show in Windows Explorer but I can't remember.

You can set the location it saves to by changing the iTunes folder in the preferences.

Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.
QUOTE Thanks
indapino22

thanks michaelstumpf, very helpful but it sounds like an awful lot of work..i just downloaded a free converter

thanks again thou.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by indapino22 View Post
i just downloaded a free converter
That works too. I just didn't know of any converters off hand. Incase someone else comes along with the same question, what converter did you download?

QUOTE Thanks
indapino22

here is the link to where i got it from
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...o_Encoder.html

its very simple and easy to use..use drag or add the files you want converted and click convert
QUOTE Thanks
setanta5

setanta5 is on a distinguished road

is this a windows app? did you find anything similar for Mac. i would like this too simply for making mp3 cd's for the car. Can anyone suggest a mac version?

I know the itunes solution works but it duplicates the songs in itunes library and i just dont want the hassle of managing that every time i want to make an MP3 cd.

Also, when making Mp3 cd in itunes, all songs go to "root" like one big playlist. If you make a data disc you can put albums in folders and select them individually.
QUOTE Thanks
indapino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta5 View Post
is this a windows app? did you find anything similar for Mac. i would like this too simply for making mp3 cd's for the car. Can anyone suggest a mac version?

I know the itunes solution works but it duplicates the songs in itunes library and i just dont want the hassle of managing that every time i want to make an MP3 cd.

Also, when making Mp3 cd in itunes, all songs go to "root" like one big playlist. If you make a data disc you can put albums in folders and select them individually.
do what i did, just type what your looking for in google. ill try to help you out
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Microphone on iBook G4 | Vocals to instruments »