New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

m4v to mp3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nike7465

nike7465 is an unknown at this point

all my itunes music is in m4v format, how do i change it to mp3?

nike7465 - aim

nikeair17@mac.com - email

MBP 15 1/2
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This is an oft asked question without any good answer. m4a/m4v are locked formats used to protect the digital rights management policies of Apple for things purchased on iTunes. There have been various efforts at cracking these formats, and some succeed from time to time, but with each new release of iTunes, it appears that Apple changes the game a bit. Certainly I know that the last successful "cracker" of these formats I was aware of became inoperative after the release of iTunes 7.

All that having been said, I *suspect* it is of dubious legality to break these formats. Apple is within its legal rights to protect the media it sells. You shouldn't expect something for nothing.

That having been said, I have followed the efforts to crack these formats with some interest because, as an ethical person myself, I bridle at not being able to do what I wish with media that I have paid for. I buy a CD and I can rip it, record it, play it... do whatever I want with it.... AS LONG AS I don't redistribute it. I can't do any of these things with iTunes music/videos, and as a result, I buy only the bare minimum I can get away with.

The above of course is a HUGELY divisive topic, best left to the realm of a bar, over what a friend of mine euphamistically calls "a cold adult beverage"! :-)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike7465 View Post
all my itunes music is in m4v format, how do i change it to mp3?
m4v is a video format. If you mean m4a, then you can convert any unprotected content to an MP3 from within iTunes. These m4a files are created when you rip content into iTunes using the default (and superior) aac format. I generally find that aac files ripped at a bitrate of 128 are equivalent to mp3 files ripped at 192, meaning you save a lot of storage by using AAC.

If you really want to convert these files, go into iTunes prefs, click advanced, then importing and change the "import using" option to MP3, and change the bitrate however you want. Then go back to your track listing, highlight the songs you want to convert and right-click them. You'll see an option to convert to MP3.

You'll still have all the AAC/m4a files sitting around however, but you can delete them from within iTunes and tell it to move them to the trash.

Hope that helps...
QUOTE Thanks
c3aki

c3aki is on a distinguished road

this works only for audio files not for video files.... i ripped a video from youtube by tubeTV .. is there anyway i can change m4v to mp3?? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

mp3 is an audio codec, m4v is a video codec. m4a is an audio mpeg4 file and m4p is a DRM PROTECTED mpeg4 file.

So in short, no way to make video mp3's that I'm aware of.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random crackles/pops with GarageBand recording | What kind of microphone works with a Mac? »