New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Which mac is best for audio editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackelkspeaks

blackelkspeaks is on a distinguished road

I will soon be going to college for sound engineering, and i will be in the market for a mac. What would be the best for proffessional level audio editing/recording. Would a desktop be cheaper or more reliable than a lap top? Also, what should i look for? I have funds up to 3 grand but would prefer to keep it closer to 2,000. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would get a macbook pro since you will be at school and portability will be an issue. I would also get a set of studio monitors for your desk which are more accurate then regular speakers.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
motoo344

motoo344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4

I think it depends, Ive been learning to record from my business partner and from what Ive done so far I would never do it on a laptop. We use pro tools and it runs very smooth with his new comp(power mac 3ghz) Before he had a G5 1.6ghz and it was getting to the point were it just wouldnt run any of the mized songs because it couldnt handle it. Id say if you plan on opening your own studio I would get a desktop. If you dont plan on doing something like that till after college, I would just go with a laptop because they are very nice to have as a college student. In my opinion I think it would just be very hard to use a interface like pro tools on a laptop, we have to monitors setup and one monitor gets very busy.

powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

budget id say is the biggest issue. currently i have a macbook and an intel imac and have a protools, logic and reason set up. i do most of my editing and self recording at home on the imac, however, i take the macbook with me when im recording a band elsewhere. the plain run of the mill macbook holds up fine, until you start using 10 or so plugins and are recording 8 tracks at once (drums or something).

if youve got 2K to spend, will be using it through college and portability is an issue, i would go with the macbook pro and throw at least another gig of ram in it, and you will have no issues.

you didnt mention what program and interface youll be using. some interfaces out there limit you to how many simultanous tracks you will be recording at once. if its 4 or less, you shouldnt have any issues with even a stock MBP. if its more, an upgrade in ram should do nicely.

if portability isnt an issue, a powermac and mac pro will do great. i would simply recommend buying an imac and spend the rest of the cash on whatever else you might need (mics, xlr cables, interface, programs, etc). and have you seen the 24 inch imacs? wow. thats all that needs to be said. good luck.

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
titwillow

titwillow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: g5 quad 2.5ghz, ibook g4 1.33ghz, g4 867ghz

hi, in the past i have always found mac laptops don't perform quite as well as the desktops for music apps (logic in my case) and other friends who do music have said the same but i can't say if it's still the case with the intels. ram is a big factor and i agree screen size is important (logic is so much easier with a dual screen set-up. also, if you're serious about using a mac for music production i would reccomend a tower for the pci slots, drive bays etc. and if you have any money left over get a uad-1 dsp card, they are quite simply the best bit of computer music hardware around! have fun
QUOTE Thanks
tiger2

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7

yeah i wouldn't worry about the performance of the new macbookpros as i have one and i'd say its as powerful as my G5 2.3.

I use mine for logic and ableton. My advice to you is how portable do you wanna be?

as £2000 will get you a nice macbookpro you need to get at least 2gig ram what ever u get. your also going to prob want logic as well which isnt cheap plus a decent set of studio monitors and and audio interface.

-------------------------------------
powermac G5 2.3Ghz 2 gig ram
20" apple monitor
macbookpro 2.16 100gigHd@ 7200rpm 2gig ram
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .wma | Recording mixes in Ableton with iMac »