New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Creating podcast help..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richardcanham

richardcanham is an unknown at this point

hey!

I'm making a podcast and have got what i want to say all planned out etc however need these two things sorted please..

1) have a jingle that i want to fade out at the beginning before i talk and fade in as the podcast finishes..how do i do this please?

2) once I've created the podcast how do I get it as a mp3 file as when I "send/import to itunes" it goes in as an AIF file so obviously I'm doing something wrong. If this helps, when I talk I'm recording it into the Male Voice track column.

Ps. I am using garage band for my podcast!

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I have never had any luck with Garageband. I know a lot of people use it for different things, but it remains unusable to me. I personally use
Amadeus II to do podcasts with. It is a very simple to use audio editor program with lots of functions.

1. It will do the fade in and fade out for you.

2. It will save your files in many different formats including mp3.

3. It has many functions that allow you to edit and adjust your file.

And for posting the podcast itself i have used Podcast Maker for over a year now and it does an excellent job.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcanham View Post
hey!

I'm making a podcast and have got what i want to say all planned out etc however need these two things sorted please..

1) have a jingle that i want to fade out at the beginning before i talk and fade in as the podcast finishes..how do i do this please?

2) once I've created the podcast how do I get it as a mp3 file as when I "send/import to itunes" it goes in as an AIF file so obviously I'm doing something wrong. If this helps, when I talk I'm recording it into the Male Voice track column.

Ps. I am using garage band for my podcast!

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
I GB select "new podcast episode" once you've have it open delete the "podcast track" at the top (unless enhanced) In menu click "Track" and show master track. When you highlight Master Track and select info there you can control the Ducking (the little arrows on each track) The ducking will nicely handle number one. You can also do this manually. by adjusting the volume line (open volume in a track by clicking the grey arrow on the control line.)

For 2. "Share" to itunes then in itune preferences set import to your desired format. (Advanced, import, settings depend on type of podcasts) ctrl click and "convert to mp3"

Done, now play with the effects to get the right "sound" to your voice.

Anything else drop by the www.podcastpickle.com for lots of info or pm me.

GB is my favorite way to record and edit a podcast. (I actually record to a flash player then impot to GB) it is simple and pretty flexible.

bone
QUOTE Thanks
TSCarrot

TSCarrot is on a distinguished road

if you want to fade music in and out during your show (key to a good sounding podcast)
Devote a track to the music and using the Down arrow in that gray bar that has the buttons "Record" "Mute" "Solo" "Lock" and "Volume/Pan" *I'm talking about the buttons below the track's name....
The Blue line with the light blue fill below it is showing you your volume at present. Clicking the line will make a new "Point" play with the angle of the different points you have and that's how you fade in and out.

Keep in mind that once you modify that track's volume/pan points, you can not adjust the master volume slider or L R knobs.
TIP: When you are fading IN with music over Voice, bring it in fast to keep the feel of the show moving. When you are fading music OUT during voice do it as slowly as possible to make it almost unnoticeable. And if you are interested in finding a cool new podcast (I hate this part but I gotta shameless plug) go to my site www.saturdaynightpie.com

Hope this helps!
Terri
QUOTE Thanks
TSCarrot

TSCarrot is on a distinguished road

Garage band is the ULTIMATE audio editing software for podcasting. I was using pro tools Like CooL Edit pro... big mistake. Garage band is simple, short and sweet. Giving you thousands of possibilities without gumming up the functionality of the podcaster that just wants to have 2 voice tracks and a little music.

When it comes to MP3... its as simple as "Sharing" the final product in Itunes and converting it there.

The reason GarageBand Uses AAC "m4a" files is because they are of a higher (losless) quality and save at less than half of the space mp3's take up.

In the long run, you need to use an mp3 file to get the most out of an rss/xml feed. but building your show using GarageBand's AAC files lets you go back and make last min. changes without the whole thing being double compressed as an mp3 and having a crap sounding show!

Whats the name of your podcast?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« digital interface | garageband help »