New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Which Mac for music?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JamesyD

JamesyD is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new here and a bit of a novice so please don't castrate me for asking redundant and inane questions!

So here it is: In 2007 I want to start getting into music production and I'm currently learning digital piano and learning to read music etc. By Oct I want to be enrolled in a college music production course and obviously am in need of a computer for that and I've already decided that I'll be getting a mac notebook for this since I'm told they're more practical for music production and everyone who has one swears that once you go mac you never go back.

Now, what I'm wondering is would it be a better idea for me to save up and get a top of the range new model, like a macbook pro or would an older model like a g4 be just as good for my needs since obviously they're less expensive and money is a slight issue. Are all the softwares etc available on the older models and is the power/memory etc strong enough?

As I said, sorry if these questions are stupid but I really have no clue. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

powermac g4 should be good for music lots of recording studios use them
QUOTE Thanks
JamesyD

JamesyD is on a distinguished road

cheers for that - i'll look into the g4 for def.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Ya a g4 powerbook 15" 1.3ghz and 1 gig of ram sould be good, I just got 1 off ebay 4 $880, that's a good price
QUOTE Thanks
Ice Cream Man

Ice Cream Man has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Weird Al uses a MacBook Pro with ProTools.
QUOTE Thanks
thefarpavllions

thefarpavllions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz

His name is also Weird Al :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

only thing is that ppc will no longer have apps being made for it in about 5 years.

notebook- macbook with basic specs. gig of RAM

desktop- imac basic specs with a gig of RAM

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

I find the macbook to be a very decent computer to record with as well. It has a duel core processor just like the macbook pros. Since you're using it for music production the lack of a dedicated graphics card shouldn't slow you down at all. I use my macbook (1st gen.) and it works great.

Also, I'd suggest looking at refurb. Both the refurb macbook pro's and macbooks are priced very competitively.

Good luck with your purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

The Macbook will be perfect for your needs, especially if you buy it with one gig of RAM. I wouldn't buy PPC, because I'm sure the next version of Mac OS X will take advantage of the latest Intel processors--and the Macbook has a great 64-bit Core 2 Duo processor.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying speaker | recording in garageband »