New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

my MP3's play fine in iTunes, tinny online

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

guinness28

I am trying to use short snippets of recorded speech on my site, using one of the built-in voices that came with my iBook G4.

I am able to record mp3's using WireTap Pro and they play perfectly well in my iTunes program. However, when I upload them to my server and then click on their links to play them, they always sound annoying tinny. I've tried every combination of settings I can think of in WireTap Pro and it's always the same:

My MP3 recordings sound fine when I play them in iTunes and they sound horribly tinny when I try to play the same file after it's been uploaded to my server.

Any ideas what's going on.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

everything gets downgraded when its uploaded for streaming.
QUOTE Thanks
guinness28

I wonder what audio formats other sites use when they upload brief snippets of audio. I was hoping to use mp3 because it's a much smaller file than the alternatives. I'll have to switch to another format with a significantly larger file size (aif maybe) since the mp3 is just way to noisy to understand, even.
QUOTE Thanks
logic_user99

logic_user99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8

If you've recorded at low quality (anything lower than 44k, CD quality) to start with, your MP3 files will be of a lower quality (even if you converted to 320kbps). This in turn will lead to EVEN lower quality online audio.

I guess the main point of the presentation would be that you can't add bits in (converting up) to lower quality audio to make it sound better. You gotta start at the best quality possible at the recording phase.
QUOTE Thanks
guinness28

I guess I'll have to write to WireTap Pro and see if they have any ideas. I've switched every recording setting to the highest quality possible and it still sounds like the voices are underwater when I listen to them online.

WireTap Pro 1.20
settings I'm using:
16-bit
stereo
48 khz
QUOTE Thanks
guinness28

And I'm using 320 bits per second and have selected 'best' for encoding quality
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting mp4 to audio files? | Mac Torrent Programs »