New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

LEGAL music downloading...besides itunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jh87

jh87 is on a distinguished road

i need help finding a LEGAL (meaning i'll pay a monthly fee) music downloading program that'll work well with my macbook pro. i know some programs don't allow putting the songs into my ipod, but i think that's just ridiculous and a waste of money.

my other computer (pc) crashed and all my songs are gone forever. so i'd rather not pay $1 per song. is there anything that allows for unlimited downloading for like $10 or less/month? that i can also put into my ipod?

i've heard about acquisition. is it ok to use if i pay that registration fee? (are there corrupt files and such?) i'm not sure...and if i unistall the program, will the songs be deleted as well? in my shameful illegal limewire days, after i got rid of the program, a lot of the songs didn't play.
and i've also read up on kazaa gold (you pay like $2/mo) and a couple others like that.
which is the best to use?

i heard itunes may be getting a subscription-based program too, so if that happens, i'll be all for it, but i need help finding a program now.

THANKS!

oh and another thing about the programs...can i access international songs? ...like korean songs?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Depending on what you listen too and what you are willing to pay, there is emusic. Its not a unlimited download service though, but I use it to find a lot of stuff that itunes doesn't have, not to mention no stupid DRM. Its $20 / 90 songs, which isn't bad considering what itunes wants. I don't like most of the pay a flat fee and get unlimited downloads, they usually don't have anything that I want.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I don't think there are any subscription based services compatible with iPods as of now. The biggest problem with subscription based services is that once you stop paying the subscription you lose the music.

I don't think Acquisition is a legitimate service (What real company/service uses PayPal and doesn't say what you get for purchasing the license)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
davetheblaze

davetheblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles

Didnt they just launch one from universal where its all free and paid for by advertising, I cant remember the name though
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i would just buy the cd or song(s) from a shop in the street or from iTunes.

it maybe more expensive but you get the album work file and quite good quality AND its reliable!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
my other computer (pc) crashed and all my songs are gone forever. so i'd rather not pay $1 per song
3 B's for you: backup backup backup.

I know hindsight is always easy, but that's the only way you're going to protect your data.
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

itls legel to download in canada,, as long as you dont upload its fine
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

allofmp3

Gotta love them russians
QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

Sorry to hear about your computer crashing, if I lost my media collection I'd be in bed for days.

There's no way going through a data recovery service to recover information on your hard drive?

allofmp3, while not legal, is probably your cheapest iPod compatible option, but then again you might as well use BitTorrent which is just as legal and free. Otherwise, your best option is iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

If you want free and legal music go to:

http://music.podshow.com or http://garageband.com

Both carry creative commons licensed music which is free and legal.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseeker
Sorry to hear about your computer crashing, if I lost my media collection I'd be in bed for days.

There's no way going through a data recovery service to recover information on your hard drive?

allofmp3, while not legal, is probably your cheapest iPod compatible option, but then again you might as well use BitTorrent which is just as legal and free. Otherwise, your best option is iTunes.

allofmp3 is legal.

You're downloading from Russia, which has VERY DIFFERENT laws, when it comes to music.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
allofmp3 is legal.

You're downloading from Russia, which has VERY DIFFERENT laws, when it comes to music.
It's not legal in the US. Just because the site is hosted in Russia doesn't mean you have to abide by Russian laws. allofmp3 is the reason that Russia won't be admitted into the WTO. The equivalent of the DMCA in Russia makes it legal in Russia, but allofmp3 has never gotten artist permission to put any of the songs online.

"The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

Some more reading on the topic

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7591.cfm
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pag...nt/5051826.stm

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
It's not legal in the US. Just because the site is hosted in Russia doesn't mean you have to abide by Russian laws. allofmp3 is the reason that Russia won't be admitted into the WTO. The equivalent of the DMCA in Russia makes it legal in Russia, but allofmp3 has never gotten artist permission to put any of the songs online.

"The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

Some more reading on the topic

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7591.cfm
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pag...nt/5051826.stm

I'm sorry I didn't say if it was legal everywhere .

I assumed the OP would have done the required reading.
QUOTE Thanks
Silverfroth

Silverfroth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac

I went through this, too ...

www.rhapsody.com is an online service that allows you to stream music - unlimited - for 9.99/mth and if you want to buy a track it's .89/song.

Hopefully they'll get around to offering a computer-run version for mac, soon.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I don't think there are any subscription based services compatible with iPods as of now. The biggest problem with subscription based services is that once you stop paying the subscription you lose the music.

I don't think Acquisition is a legitimate service (What real company/service uses PayPal and doesn't say what you get for purchasing the license)

yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the business model is a cashflow model; it gives me the creeps thinking of all the crap they put on your 'puter spy ware wise to keep track of 'their property' (remember, you're just renting it for your subscription price). thats why most of those services sell their own media players or have firmware for a PC mp3 player.

iPod don't play that.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clicking Sound Driving Me Crazy | Speaker Recommendations »