Thread: Music editing

Music editing
    Hi here goes...

Is there any software that can be used to extract or isolate individual instruments when playing a audio CD? For example; if I was playing a CD and I wanted to extract the guitar and all the rest of the instruments would not be audiable.

The reason I ask, is that I would like to be able to isolate instruments so it will help me transcribe music.

Anyone able to offer any advice?

All the best,

DAve

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by David_G
    Hi here goes...

Is there any software that can be used to extract or isolate individual instruments when playing a audio CD? For example; if I was playing a CD and I wanted to extract the guitar and all the rest of the instruments would not be audiable.

The reason I ask, is that I would like to be able to isolate instruments so it will help me transcribe music.

Anyone able to offer any advice?

All the best,

DAve
    That cannot be done.
    The only way to get a single instrument track is the have the artist's master recordings.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I normally like to say that nothing is impossible if you try hard enough, unfortunately I think this is.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    I normally like to say that nothing is impossible if you try hard enough, unfortunately I think this is.

Thanks to both of you who replied - ah well it was just a thought - may be one day technology will be able to this?

Cheers,

Dave

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    maybe, technology has its way of surprising us.. I mean now there are ways to take out background noise in some audio programs so it might not be too far off to isolate a single instrument in music.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    maybe, technology has its way of surprising us.. I mean now there are ways to take out background noise in some audio programs so it might not be too far off to isolate a single instrument in music.
    Yes, I understand there is software that is able to take out 'noise' - so perhaps not that far away in future.

I currently use some software that slows music down, yet maintains the same pitch - his helps with transcription, but still really depends on a 'good ear' to be able to isolate instruments.

Dave

Specs:
    20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
    Some programs allow you to flter out certain frequencies, but this method takes out to much or to little and does effects the entire song. All tracks will be presnt with this method some just distorted and others a little clearer or louder. This may help you transcribe it if you can bring the frequency of the instrament you want out from the rest even if only a little bit.

Thread Information