New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

External Mic not Working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

applecrisp

applecrisp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini

Hey all I was at the dollar store the other day and noticed they had computer mics. and because I have an Imac my internal mic picks up all of that fan noise so me and my friend bought some mics. But I cant seem to get my mic working I changed all the system pref settings with no luck. I know the mic works because it works on my friends pc just fine why does it not work for me??
QUOTE Thanks
doki_2

doki_2 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I think better write down what you did exactly and the expert will tell you if you did "all" the changes.
Regards,
doki
QUOTE Thanks
applecrisp

Okay so:
1)bought the mic
2)plugged it in
3)opened system prefs changed input from internal mic to external mic and the sound detection bars dont move at all when I talk
4) I also changed the prefs in speakable items to listen on the external mic port and still nothing
5) I even tryed using sound studio 3 and nothing happened in terms of sound so.... ya anybody know what else to try?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Go to applications-> utilities-> Audio & midi utility.

Make sure the input levels for the external mic port are turned up all the way.
QUOTE Thanks
applecrisp

did that and no luck
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

try this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18987

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
applecrisp

wow this is really annoying it just doesn't work. Does it have to be like a power mic or something (just throwing out random questions)
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

robbiemullen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 1.6Ghz,w/ 1.2Gb ram,+17" Apple studio Display..Mac Book Pro 2GHz w/ 1.5gb ram

I know this sounds stupid, but are you sure you plugged it into the line-in connection and not the line-out. Believe me, some people do it !
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Okay, this problem can be easily solved. It's a pain to figure out, but it works...

In GarageBand-

GarageBand>Preferences>Audio/Midi

Then select audio input and choose your mic from the scroll list

Does this help?

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Calabo

Calabo is on a distinguished road

See the problem is that the mac doesn't recognize the mic at all. It doesn't have anything to do with programs or preferences. One thing I found that should work is this Griffin USB mic adapter for macs. Griffin iMic 2 Sound card
QUOTE Thanks
Henry

Henry is on a distinguished road

This is the problem with your mic: The cheap computer mic is usually an electret type. This means that here is a field effect transistor inside the mic that requires a power supply. PC's that have a mic input have a supply voltage to feed the transistor but the Mac does not have a mic input, only a line in which means there is no supply voltage. This can be arranged externally if you know how. You could try a dynamic mic which does not need a supply but audio outputs from dynamic mics is very low and will probably not work.

Regards

Henry.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think you guys are on the right track suggesting that the problem is the type of mic. I spent about two hours a few months ago trying yo get a mic to work with one of my desktop systems. The mic is probably not generating sufficient voltage to work on the Line In port.

If I remember correctly the Griffin iMic solved the problem for me. A mic pre-amp (available from many electronics shops) would likely also work.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkPHOENIX77

DarkPHOENIX77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
This is the problem with your mic: The cheap computer mic is usually an electret type. This means that here is a field effect transistor inside the mic that requires a power supply. PC's that have a mic input have a supply voltage to feed the transistor but the Mac does not have a mic input, only a line in which means there is no supply voltage. This can be arranged externally if you know how. You could try a dynamic mic which does not need a supply but audio outputs from dynamic mics is very low and will probably not work.

Regards

Henry.
I was reading your post and you stated that a power supply for this type of mic can be arranged externally... How would one go about doing that?
QUOTE Thanks
windomearle

windomearle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was reading your post and you stated that a power supply for this type of mic can be arranged externally... How would one go about doing that?
I have the same question. Anyone? Thanks ^^
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I would try the following. Either should work though in many way I prefer option two as it has a bit more flexibility for connecting mics and certain speakers.

1. Get in touch with a local electronics shop such as Radio Shack. Tell them the problem you are having and ask if a mic preamp will solve the problem. I have seen some that are not very expensive but it's probably best to ask about their return policy.

2. The Griffin iMic 2 Sound card may work. I have two of them and use them regularly. If the problem is simply that the mic doesn't generate appropriate voltage this should foo the trick.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic Express 9 & EZ drummer Nashville | All iTunes music given same name »