Specs:
    Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
    Logic Pro X on a 2009 Mac mini?
    Hi everyone. I have Logic Pro 9 on my 2009 Mac mini here, and it runs all right for the most part, but there have been times when the program would get bogged down. Oddly enough I don't experience this problem when I run other DAWs on here, like Reason. Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to Logic Pro X, but I'm not sure because 9 seems good enough for me, and it's unfortunate that there is no upgrade discount. Still, it's very tempting. Do you think Logic Pro X would run all right on this machine? This Mac mini has a 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM. I have 55 GB of free space left, but of course I'm sure I could reclaim some of that by uninstalling Logic Pro 9, and I also have external storage to store virtual instruments and loops and stuff.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Specs:
    mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.11.6 (ElCap), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    I apologize becuase I do not have answer egarding Logic Pro X.

I do want to point this out:
    Roughly 2/3 of your hdd is "occupied". Working with large audio files at this point is definitely going to be problematic. For now, I suggest that you move some stuff on to an ext hdd of some type. Where do you store your audio files? Do you have a back copy?

Specs:
    Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
    True, I think if I was the type of user who plugged in a lot of real instruments like guitars and basses, and also did lots and lots of vocals, I would definitely feel the squeeze. But the thing is, a lot of the projects I do just use virtual instruments. Right now I have an external 500 GB Firewire hard drive, and I've already moved a lot of stuff on there, like backups, ripped movies, virtual instrument plugins, and stuff like that.

Take, for example, the folder I use to store my Logic projects. Right now it's a little over 400 MB in size. And right behind that is the folder in which I store my Reason projects -- it's about 200 MB in size. I think at the rate I'm going, it would still take a while to eat up the rest of my free space, given the way I personally make music.

But sure, I would like to have more space on my primary hard drive. I guess I'm more worried about how much oomph my Core 2 Duo has left in it, as well as whether 4 GB of RAM is going to be okay for Logic Pro X.

Thread Information